1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quadratic form and diagonalization

1. Jun 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find diagonal shape of next quadratic form ( using eigenvalues and eigenvectors)
    Q(x,y)= 5x2 + 2y2 + 4xy.
    What is curve { (x,y)∈ ℝ| Q(x,y)= λ1λ2, where λ1 and λ2 are eigenvalues of simetric matrix joined to quadratic form Q. Draw given curve in plane.

3. The attempt at a solution

Matrix for given form is [tex]A= \begin{bmatrix} 5 & 2 \\ 2 & 2 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    [tex]k_{a}(\lambda )= det(\lambda I - A)= \begin{vmatrix} 5-\lambda & 2 \\ 2 & 2-\lambda \end{vmatrix}= \\(5-\lambda)(2-\lambda) - 4=0\\ \lambda_{1}=1\\ \lambda_{2}=6[/tex]

Spectre of A ={1,6}

For λ=1
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix} 4 &2 \\ 2& 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} x\\ y \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    [tex]y=-2x\\ v(x,-2x) = x(1,-1) [/tex]
    (lets call it v1)

For λ=6
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix} -1 &2 \\ 2& -4 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} x\\ y \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    [tex]y=\frac{1}{2}x\\ v=(x, \frac{1}{2}x)=x(1,\frac{1}{2})[/tex]

lets call this on v2

Ok, now i need to find the norm of both vectors.
    [tex]\mid \mid v_{1}\mid \mid=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (1,-1)[/tex]
    [tex]\mid \mid v_{2}\mid \mid =\frac{\sqrt{5}}{2} (1,\frac{1}{2})[/tex]

Ok, so what am i supposed to do now?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Check that step.
    Regarding the diagonal form, you only need the eigenvalues, right?
    What sort of curve should that equation produce?

4. Jun 6, 2015 #3
    Ups.
    I cant edit first post, so I'll write it here

[tex]y=-2x\\v=(x,-2x)=(1,-2)[/tex]
    Since [tex]detA=5\cdot 2-2\cdot2=6 > 0\\[/tex] it is either elipse of set which contains only one dot or empty set. But it will be elipse.

What does diagonal shape means? Ok, I got the eigenvalues, how do i make curve Q(x,y)=λ1λ2

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  5. Jun 6, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, an ellipse.
    I would think that 'diagonal shape' means either writing the matrix in the form ##P^{-1}DP## where the matrix D only has nonzero elements on its diagonal, or just the matrix D itself. That diagonal would consist of the eigenvalues. P consists of eigenvectors.
    Not sure that there's anything special about having ##\lambda_1\lambda_2## as the value of Q, but I suspect I'm missing something there. Anyway, how do you think the eigenvectors relate to the geometrical features of the ellipse?

6. Jun 6, 2015 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have correctly found the eigenvalues to be 1 and 6. You have correctly found the corresponding eigenvectors to be [itex]\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ -2\end{bmatrix}[/itex] and [itex]\begin{bmatrix}2 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}[/itex]. That means that you can write
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}\frac{1}{5} & -\frac{2}{5} \\ \frac{2}{5} & \frac{1}{5}\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}5 & 2 \\ 2 & 2 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}1 & 2 \\ -2 & 1\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 6\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    The initial matrix is from the quadratic form [itex]5x^2+ 2y^2+ 4xy[/itex]. The resulting diagonal matrix means that, in a coordinate system having axes in the directions of those eigenvectors is [itex]x'^2+ 6y'^2[/itex]. If the first quadratic form is equal to a constant, so is the second. What conic section is of the form [itex]x^2+ 6y^2= Constant[/itex]?

7. Jun 6, 2015 #6
    Diagonalization of quadratic form
    Simetric matrix A can diagonalize in some orthonormal basis [tex]f_{1},...f_{n}[/tex] of ℝn so that
    [tex]Af_{1}=\lambda f_{1},..., Af_{n}=\lambda f_{n}[/tex]

For vector [tex]x=\eta _{1}\cdot f_{1}+,...,+\eta_{n}\cdot f_{n}[/tex] written in that basis we have
    [tex]Q_{A}(x)=(Ax|x)\\=(A(\eta _{1}\cdot f_{1}+...+\eta_{n} f_{n})|\eta _{1} f_{1}+...+\eta_{n} f_{n})\\=((\eta _{1}\lambda_{1}f_{1}+...+\eta_{n}\lambda_{n} f_{n})|\eta _{1}f_{1}+...+\eta_{n} f_{n})\\=\lambda_{1}\eta_{1}^{2}+ ... +\lambda_{n}\eta_{n}^{2}[/tex]
    so we say, quadratic form has been diagonalized in orthonormal basis of space ℝn

-----------
    Now, should i just multiply like above matrix (Av1|v1) or something else?

8. Jun 6, 2015 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't understand that question. For the diagonal form, you just have to write a matrix that has the eigenvalues on the diagonal and zeroes elsewhere, as I suggested in post #4.
    In regards to the geometry of an ellipse, what do you think the eigenvales and eigenvectors might correspond to?

9. Jun 7, 2015 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

As haruspex noted in post 4, the matrix A is equal to ##A = P^{-1}DP## where
    $$D = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 6 \end{bmatrix}$$ and
    $$P = \begin{bmatrix} \frac 1{\sqrt{5}} & \frac 2{\sqrt{5}} \\ -\frac 2{\sqrt{5}} & \frac 1{\sqrt{5}} \end{bmatrix}.$$ Note that because A is a real symmetric matrix, P is an orthogonal matrix. That is, the inverse of P is equal to the transpose of P. (You should verify this.)

Using ##A = P^{-1}DP##, you can write
    $$Q(x,y) = 5x^2 + 2y^2 + 4xy = \begin{bmatrix} x & y \end{bmatrix}A\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} x & y \end{bmatrix}P^{-1}DP\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \end{bmatrix}.$$
    Now consider new coordinates defined by
    $$\begin{bmatrix} x' \\ y' \end{bmatrix} = P\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \end{bmatrix}.$$ What is Q written in terms of these new coordinates?

10. Jun 7, 2015 #9
    Av11v1
    And Av22v2
    While v1 and v2 are ||v1|| and |v2||

So Q(x) = 1* η12 + +6η22

η1=1*(ε1 - ε2)*(1/21/2
    η2= 6*(ε1 - 1/2 ε2)*(51/2/2)

And Q(x) = λ1η12 + λ2η22

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted