1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Find magnetic susceptibility using partition function

1. Dec 8, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A certain magnetic system contains n independent molecules per unit volume, each of which has four energy levels given by 0, ##Δ-gμ_B B##, ##\Delta##, ##\Delta +gμ_B B##. Write down the partition function, compute Helmholtz function and hence compute the magnetization ##M##. Hence show that the magnetic susceptibility ##χ## is given by [tex]χ = \lim_{B\rightarrow 0} {\frac{μ_0 M}{B}} = \frac{2 n μ_0 g^2 {μ_B}^2}{k_B T (3+e^{Δ/k_B T})} [/tex]

(Sorry I don't know how to type limit in mathematical form)
    \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} {\frac{\sin(x)}{x}}
    2. Relevant equations
    ##F=-k_B T \ln Z##, ##m=-(\frac{∂F}{∂B})##, ##m=MV##

3. The attempt at a solution

If there are N=Vn molecules, the partition function is [tex] Z=(e^{0}+e^{-β(Δ-gμ_B)}+e^{-βΔ}+e^{-β(Δ+gμ_B)})^N [/tex].
    Then Helmholtz free energy function F is
    [tex] F=-k_B T[-βΔ+\ln (1+2\cosh {βgμ_B B})] [/tex]

Now I have to differentiate F by B, but i've noticed βΔ part would be gone because it doesn't have B at all.
    My answer is
    [tex] χ = \frac{2 n μ_0 g^2 {μ_B}^2}{3 k_B T}[/tex]
    where βΔ part is omitted.

If you tell me what's wrong it would be lovely.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is unclear how you got ## F ## from ## Z ##. It also isn't apparent how , given the ## F ## that you have presented, that a derivative w.r.t. ## B ## will not be a function of the magnetic field ## B ##, since ## cosh'(x)=sinh(x) ##. Also, in writing out ## Z ##, you left off the ## B ## dependence. You need to be more accurate in presenting it.

4. Dec 8, 2017 #3
    Your expression for the free energy is incorrect. My best guess is that you forgot about the state with 0 energy when taking the natural log of ##Z##.

Let me show you how I did the problem:

Let ##\zeta## denote the one-particle partition function, i.e.,
    $$\begin{eqnarray*}
    \zeta &= 1 + e^{-\beta \Delta} (1 + e^{\beta g \mu_B B} + e^{-\beta g \mu_B B}) \\
    &= 1 + e^{-\beta \Delta} (1 + 2 \cosh (\beta g \mu_B B))
    \end{eqnarray*}$$
    Then ##Z = \zeta^N##, so
    $$\begin{eqnarray*}
    m &= -\frac{\partial}{\partial B} (F) \\
    &= \frac{\partial}{\partial B} (kT \ln Z) \\
    &= \frac{kTN}{\zeta} \frac{\partial \zeta}{\partial B} \\
    &= \frac{(kTN) (2\beta g \mu_B) e^{-\beta \Delta} \sinh(\beta g \mu_B B) }{ 1 + e^{-\beta \Delta} (1 + 2 \cosh (\beta g \mu_B B)) }
    \end{eqnarray*}$$
    We then have
    $$ \chi = \lim_{B \to 0} \frac{\mu_0 m}{VB} = \lim_{B \to 0} \frac{\mu_0}{B} \frac{2ng \mu_B e^{-\beta \Delta} \sinh(\beta g \mu_B B) }{ 1 + e^{-\beta \Delta} (1 + 2 \cosh(\beta g \mu_B B)) } $$
    Since we're computing a limit as ##B \to 0##, we need only expand the top and bottom of this fraction to order ##B##. Doing so yields the correct answer.

5. Dec 8, 2017 #4
    Yes i forgot extra 1 taking log..
    Thanks a lot

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted