Find number of turns in the solenoid

  • Thread starter Thread starter jackxxny
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Solenoid
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
jackxxny
Messages
39
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I have the following information about the problem.

i have the speed of an electron = v
the diameter of a circular path = d
the length of a solenoid = x
the current that the solenoid carried = I

I need to find the number of turns in the solenoid.

Homework Equations



i used the following equations
QvB=v2m/r

B=[tex]\mu[/tex]NI/l

The Attempt at a Solution



then i put "B" in the first equation and i solve for N. Is that correct?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org


the only weird thing is that i get a number like

.121

and it is not a turn .121? or it can be a valid answer?
 


jackxxny said:
the only weird thing is that i get a number like

.121

and it is not a turn .121? or it can be a valid answer?

no, you can't really get less than one. Post the numbers and your working and we'll see if you went wrong anywhere.
 


v=1570 m/s
d = 1.57 cm
x = 35 cm
I = 2.61 A
what I did is :
N=(vmx)/(rQI*4*pi*10^-7)
 


I get the same answer as you, so I guess you'll need to put what you get and round up and put N=1
 


the problem really states...

...that the electron follows a circular path of diameter 1.57 cm near the center of an evacuated solenoid of length 35 cm .

does that changes anything?