Find radiation resistance of a wire

In summary, to find the radiation resistance of a wire joining the two ends of a dipole, you need to set the average power equal to the total power and solve for R using the equation P=I2R. To find the average power, use the formula Paverage = Irms2R = Imax2R/2ω. The solution involves finding P=I2R =qo2w2sin2(wt) R and using the average value of sin2ωt, which is 1/2, to get (qo2w2R)/2.
leonne
Find radiation resistance of a wire...

Homework Statement

Find radiation resistance of a wire joining the two ends of a dipole.

Homework Equations

P=I2R

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so to solve this problem I need to set the average power = to total power and solve for R
I thought P=I2R is the average power, but its not and not sure how to find it.
The solution first finds P=I2R =qo2w2sin2(wt) R than somehow from this they get (qo2w2R)/2
No idea how they got that, no other formula in the section seems to fit this.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi leonne! :smile:

(have an omega: ω :wink:)
leonne said:
The solution first finds P=I2R =qo2w2sin2(wt) R than somehow from this they get (qo2w2R)/2

the average value of sin2ωt is 1/2 :wink:

(because sin2ωt = (1 + cos2ωt)/2)

the usual formula is Paverage = Irms2R = Imax2R/2

o ok thanks

1. What is radiation resistance?

Radiation resistance is the measure of how well a material can withstand and dissipate electromagnetic radiation. It is an important factor in the design of electronic devices and systems.

2. How is radiation resistance measured?

Radiation resistance is typically measured in units of ohms (Ω) and is calculated by dividing the power absorbed by the material by the square of the current flowing through it.

3. What factors affect the radiation resistance of a wire?

The radiation resistance of a wire is affected by the material it is made of, its dimensions, and the frequency of the electromagnetic radiation being emitted or absorbed.

4. Can the radiation resistance of a wire be increased?

Yes, the radiation resistance of a wire can be increased by using materials with higher resistivity, increasing the wire's thickness, or using techniques such as coiling or twisting the wire to increase its effective length.

5. Why is it important to know the radiation resistance of a wire?

Knowing the radiation resistance of a wire is important for designing and optimizing electronic devices and systems, as well as for understanding how electromagnetic radiation interacts with different materials.