Find relative speed of fast moving partical with dilated time

In summary: I think I've finally figured it out. In summary, if I find the dilated time and use it to divide 10,000, I'd get the velocity of the muon.
akennedy

Homework Statement

The muon is an unstable elementary particle that decays via a weak-force
interaction process into an electron and two neutrinos. The life time of muons in their rest
frame is 2:197 s  2:197106 s. Nuclear reactions in the upper atmosphere, precipitated by
the impact of highly energetic cosmic rays, generate fast-moving muons about 10 km above sea
level. Some of these particles are detected in labs at about sea level. This is possible because
the life time of muons moving with respect to the Earth's surface is dilated.

(i) Estimate the muons' speed relative to Earth from the fact that they travel 10.0 km between
their point of creation in the atmosphere until seen to decay in ground-based labs.
(ii) The proper distance traveled by the muons considered in part (a) is 10.0 km. Calculate
the length of this distance as it would be measured in the muons' rest frame. Explain
how your result, if interpreted using Galilean relativity, would be at odds with nding
cosmic-ray muons at the Earth's surface.

Homework Equations

gamma = 1/SQRT(1-v^2/c^2)
Time = gamma*proper time

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly I'm clueless. I am really struggling with relativity but here's my current understanding of the problem (i). The muon is traveling at high speeds so it experiences time dilation and is able to travel to the surface of the Earth without decaying.
The proper time would be the time as measures on the Earth as it is, for all purposes, at rest right?
I'm having trouble understanding the whole dilation aspect... If the particle experiences time dilation does that mean it's only undergone that time above to travel 10KM? Wouldn't that mean it was traveling faster than c?
Is the 2.197x10-6 the proper time or the dilated time? :|

Sorry I really don't know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess my biggest problem is this. The particle must have only experienced 2.197x10-6 seconds but then it's traveling faster than the speed of light in it's frame. Please someone help me understand this lol

I don't know how to solve for v without having both the proper time and dilated time :|

Last edited:
I tried using the t = gamma*tp formula, but replaced v in gamma with 10000/tp and tried to solve for tp but couldn't get anywhere. Can someone please give me a hint?

akennedy said:

Homework Statement

The muon is an unstable elementary particle that decays via a weak-force
interaction process into an electron and two neutrinos. The life time of muons in their rest
frame is 2:197 s  2:197106 s. Nuclear reactions in the upper atmosphere, precipitated by
the impact of highly energetic cosmic rays, generate fast-moving muons about 10 km above sea
level. Some of these particles are detected in labs at about sea level. This is possible because
the life time of muons moving with respect to the Earth's surface is dilated.

(i) Estimate the muons' speed relative to Earth from the fact that they travel 10.0 km between
their point of creation in the atmosphere until seen to decay in ground-based labs.
(ii) The proper distance traveled by the muons considered in part (a) is 10.0 km. Calculate
the length of this distance as it would be measured in the muons' rest frame. Explain
how your result, if interpreted using Galilean relativity, would be at odds with nding
cosmic-ray muons at the Earth's surface.

Homework Equations

gamma = 1/SQRT(1-v^2/c^2)
Time = gamma*proper time

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly I'm clueless. I am really struggling with relativity but here's my current understanding of the problem (i). The muon is traveling at high speeds so it experiences time dilation and is able to travel to the surface of the Earth without decaying.
Right.

The proper time would be the time as measures on the Earth as it is, for all purposes, at rest right?
You have two events: the muon's creation and the muon's decay. The proper time would be the time measured by a clock traveling along with the muon between the two events.

I'm having trouble understanding the whole dilation aspect... If the particle experiences time dilation, does that mean it's only undergone that time above to travel 10KM? Wouldn't that mean it was traveling faster than c?
In the muon's rest frame, only 2.197 μs elapses between its creation and decay. What you're forgetting is that in the muon's rest frame, the 10-km distance is length-contracted. When you take the length-contracted distance and divide it by 2.197 μs to calculate the muon's speed, you'll get a result less than ##c##.

Likes 1 person
Right, that makes sense. So the proper time is the given time, and I need to find the dilated time to calculate the velocity?

Am I right in that if I find this dilated time, in the Earth's frame, and use it to divide 10,000 I'd get the velocity?
If so, should I just use the t = tp*gamma formula to solve for t while replacing v with 10000/t? Or am I missing something here.

Thanks a lot for your help.

I ended up with 299350496 metres per second. That sounds about right, at least it isn't impossible lol. Thanks a lot buddy.

1. What is the concept of "relative speed" in physics?

In physics, relative speed refers to the speed of an object in relation to another object or point of reference. It takes into account the movement of both objects and their direction of motion.

2. How is time dilation related to the relative speed of a fast-moving particle?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for objects that are in motion at high speeds. This is directly related to the relative speed of the fast-moving particle, as the faster an object moves, the more time appears to slow down for that object.

3. What factors affect the calculation of relative speed in time dilation?

The calculation of relative speed in time dilation is affected by the velocity of the fast-moving particle, the speed of light, and the distance between the objects. Additionally, the observer's frame of reference and the relative direction of motion also play a role in the calculation.

4. How is the relative speed of a fast-moving particle with dilated time measured?

The relative speed of a fast-moving particle with dilated time can be measured using the Lorentz transformation equation, which takes into account the velocity, time, and distance between the objects. This equation is a fundamental concept in special relativity.

5. What real-world applications use the concept of relative speed and time dilation?

The concept of relative speed and time dilation is used in various fields, including astrophysics, aviation, and particle physics. For example, in astrophysics, time dilation is used to study the effects of gravity on time and space. In aviation, it is used to calculate the travel time of airplanes at high speeds. In particle physics, it is used to understand the behavior of subatomic particles at high velocities.