Relativistic Distance/Time Problem

In summary: That is why ##s = vt## works for calculating the distance traveled by a muon as observed in the lab frame.In summary, the conversation discusses the lifetime of a muon and its decay into other particles. It also explores the effects of relativity on the muon's lifetime and the distance it travels. The equations used are Δtm = Δts / √1- v2/c2 and s = vt, for calculating time dilation and distance traveled respectively. The evidence for time dilation in the muon's lifetime supports the theory of relativity.
chef99

Homework Statement

A muon has a lifetime of 2.20 x10-6 s when at rest, after which time it decays into other particles.

a) Ignore any effects of relativity discussed in this section. If the muon was moving at 0.99c, how far would it travel before decaying into other particles, according to Newtonian mechanics?

b) How long would the muon last, according to an observer in the earth’s frame of reference who viewed the muon moving at 0.99c?

c) How far would the muon actually travel, when viewed moving at 0.99c?

d) Compare the two distances travelled. Explain why this type of evidence is excellent support for the theory of relativity.

Homework Equations

Δtm = Δts / √1- v2/c2

The Attempt at a Solution

a) With Newtonian mechanics, there would be no time dilation so:

0.99c(3.00x108)

= 2.97 x108m/s

(2.97 x108m/s) (2.20 x10-6 s)

= 653.4m
According to Newtonian mechanics, the muon would travel 653.4m.b)

Δtm = Δts / √1- v2/c2

Δtm = 2.2 x10-6 / √1- 0.99c2 /c2

Δtm = 2.2 x10-6 / √1 - 0.9801

Δtm = 1.56 x10-5s

According to an observer on earth, the muon will last for 1.56 x10-5s.

c)
I am not sure how to calculate distance with respect to relativity, we've only learned equations for time dilation, mass and length contraction. Is there a specific formula for distance that I don't know about?

Also, I tried to calculate a with Newtonian mechanics but I'm not completely sure if that is what the question is asking for.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated, I know I must be missing something but just can't think of it; this question has been driving me crazy!

Physics news on Phys.org
What you're missing is the formula:

##s = vt##

This relates displacement, velocity and time. For constant velocity motion, of course.

Last edited:
PeroK said:

##s = vt##

This relates displacement, velocity and time. For constant velocity motion, of course.
PeroK said:

##s = vt##

That is what I thought I used for a) :

s = vt

v = 0.99c(3.00x108)

v = 2.97 x108m/s

s = (2.97 x108m/s) (2.20 x10-6 s)

= 653.4m

Is that the same formula to be used for question c)? I assumed that it would be a different equation for the two questions?

chef99 said:
s that the same formula to be used for question c)? I assumed that it would be a different equation for the two questions?
In part c, one is applying the principles of special relativity. How long does a moving muon last according to your rest frame?

chef99 said:
That is what I thought I used for a) :

s = vt

v = 0.99c(3.00x108)

v = 2.97 x108m/s

s = (2.97 x108m/s) (2.20 x10-6 s)

= 653.4m

Is that the same formula to be used for question c)? I assumed that it would be a different equation for the two questions?

##s = vt## is the defining relationship between displacement, velocity and time. These quantities must be as measured in a single frame of reference.

How else would you define velocity, other than by a measured displacement in a measured time?

SR tells you that the elapsed time - e.g. for the lifetime of a muon - may be different in different reference frames. You cannot directly use a time interval measured in another reference frame for a calculation in your reference frame.

In Newtonian physics there is only one elapsed time for all reference frames. So, you don't need to worry about converting time intervals from one frame to another.

What is the relativistic distance/time problem?

The relativistic distance/time problem is a phenomenon in physics that arises when trying to measure distances and time intervals in systems that are moving at high speeds close to the speed of light. This problem arises due to the principles of special relativity, which state that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a consequence of the relativistic distance/time problem and is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for an object that is moving at high speeds. This means that an observer on a stationary frame would measure a different time interval than an observer on a moving frame for the same event. This effect becomes more significant as the speed of the moving object approaches the speed of light.

How does time dilation affect space travel?

Time dilation has a significant impact on space travel as it means that time will pass slower for astronauts traveling at high speeds in space. This means that they will age slower compared to people on Earth, and the effect becomes more noticeable the longer they travel at high speeds. This effect is taken into account when calculating the time it would take for a spaceship to reach a distant destination.

What is length contraction?

Length contraction is another consequence of the relativistic distance/time problem, and it refers to the phenomenon in which an object's length appears to decrease in the direction of its motion. This means that an object's size will appear smaller when moving at high speeds, as measured by an observer on a stationary frame. This effect becomes more significant as the speed of the object approaches the speed of light.

How do we solve the relativistic distance/time problem?

The relativistic distance/time problem can be solved using the principles of special relativity, which take into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction. These principles allow us to calculate the correct measurements for distances and time intervals in systems that are moving at high speeds, thus solving the relativistic distance/time problem.