Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find simplest differential equation

1. Nov 24, 2009 #1
    How can I find the simplest differential equation given that I know the set of particular solutions? For example, take [tex]y_p=\{\ln(x), e^x\}[/tex], how can I find the simplest differential equation that has these solutions?

Edit: It has to be homogeneous.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2009 #2
    If it has to be linear homogeneous, then for example

(-x+x^2\ln(x))y''= (1+x^2\ln(x))y'-(x+1)y

Formal way to find LODE is as follow.
    You can form the "general" solution as

y=C_1y_1+...+C_ny_n

and then eliminate C_1,...C_n by successive differentiations.

4. Nov 27, 2009 #3
    ex is a solution for y'=y.

ln(x) is a solution for y'=x-1.

Then [tex]y_p=\{\ln(x), e^x\}[/tex]

satisfy the DE (y'-y)(y'-x-1)= 0 :biggrin:

5. Nov 30, 2009 #4
    plug the solutions into a general form y''+p*y'+q*y=0 and you get two algebric equations which determines p and q.

6. Dec 1, 2009 #5
    Actually how many different ways can we form DE that has solutions y=e^x and y= ln x ?

Is my equation (y'-y)(y'-x-1)= 0 equivalent to (-x+x^2\ln(x))y''= (1+x^2\ln(x))y'-(x+1)y ?

I know a first order nonlinear Riccati DE can be reduced to a linear 2nd order DE. But not particularly sure of this one. Is the degree of a DE has any role to play?
    Definition: The degree of a DE is the degree of the highest ordered derivative.

7. Dec 1, 2009 #6
    There are uncountable different ways to form DE (it'll be different DEs) that has solutions y=e^x and y= ln x if we do not restrict ourselves by homogeneous linear DEs. For example,

first order ODE
    x*(exp(x)-ln(x))*diff(y(x),x)+(-exp(x)*x+1)*y(x)+(-1+x*ln(x))*exp(x)=0 ,

second order ODE
    -ln(x)*x^2*(ln(ln(x))*ln(x)-1)*diff(y(x),x)^2-y(x)*x*(ln(x)+1)*diff(y(x),x)+y(x)*ln(x)*x^2*(ln(ln(x))*ln(x)-1)*diff(y(x),`$`(x,2))+factor(y(x)^2*ln(y(x))*ln(x)+y(x)^2*ln(y(x)))=0 .

8. Dec 1, 2009 #7
    Even just looking at the form (y' - y)(y' - x-1) = 0, there are any number of ways to form a differential equation with the given solutions, since Dn(ex) = ex, one can use (y(n) - y)(y' - x-1) = 0, for any positive integer n.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  9. Dec 1, 2009 #8

Mute

Homework Helper

You have to be careful, though. You proposed DE has introduced new solutions: [itex]\exp[\omega_n x][/itex], where [itex]\omega_n[/itex] is an n-th root of 1. So while such a DE does have the desired solutions, it now has many more, which may not be desired.

10. Dec 2, 2009 #9
    OK I will take note that 'simplest DE' means linear DE not the lowest order DE.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook