Solution to a differential equation with variable coefficients

In summary, the Kovacic algorithm can be used to find solutions of second order linear ODE's if the solution is Liouvillian.
mertcan
Hi, I really struggled to dig valuable things out of internet and books related to high order homogeneous differential equation with variable coefficients but I have nothing. All methods I see involves given solution and try to find others(like reduction of order method), even for second order homogeneous differential equation with variable coefficients case methods involves a known solution. My question is: WITHOUT ANY GIVEN SOLUTION how can we derive the solutions or just a solution of high order homogeneous differential equation with variable coefficients?

Physics news on Phys.org
My guess would be numerically for the hardest of these as textbooks tend to focus on ones with exact solutions or ones that fall to known methods of solution. It is perhaps why MATLAB and related tools are so popular today in engineering fields.

jedishrfu said:
My guess would be numerically for the hardest of these as textbooks tend to focus on ones with exact solutions or ones that fall to known methods of solution. It is perhaps why MATLAB and related tools are so popular today in engineering fields.
Thanks for return but as far as I know numerical methods are aimed at finding some value at some t using finite difference schemes..., not finding a function with respect to t. My question is: WITHOUT ANY GIVEN solution (as a function of t) how we can find the solution(s) of variable coefficient high order homogenous differential equation(as a function of t)?

There are no algorithms for finding even the general solution of a second order homogeneous ODE with variable coefficients. There is however an algorithm to find the solution if the solution is Liouvillian, which is based on differential Galois theory and Picard-Vessiot theory, this is the Kovacic algorithm. This is the algorithm that e.g. wolfram, mathematica, maple etc. uses to symbolically solve homogeneous ODEs. Kovacic method has been extended to higher order ODEs as well.

bigfooted said:
There are no algorithms for finding even the general solution of a second order homogeneous ODE with variable coefficients. There is however an algorithm to find the solution if the solution is Liouvillian, which is based on differential Galois theory and Picard-Vessiot theory, this is the Kovacic algorithm. This is the algorithm that e.g. wolfram, mathematica, maple etc. uses to symbolically solve homogeneous ODEs. Kovacic method has been extended to higher order ODEs as well.
Thanks for return@bigfooted by the way do you have any idea about WITHOUT ANY GIVEN SOLUTION how can we derive the solutions or just a solution of high order homogeneous differential equation with variable coefficients?

Well, that is what the Kovacic algorithm does for instance. For second order linear ODE's, you can prove that all Liouvillian solutions can be found by finding rational solutions to a Riccati ODE. And finding these solutions can be done in a systematic way by solving systems of polynomial equations. But these algorithms are usually too lengthy to do by hand, that is why we only learn about some simple limit cases in any course on differential equations (like constant coefficient ODEs).

1. What is a differential equation with variable coefficients?

A differential equation with variable coefficients is an equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives, with the coefficients of the derivatives being functions of the independent variable.

2. How do you solve a differential equation with variable coefficients?

The general method for solving a differential equation with variable coefficients involves finding an integrating factor, multiplying both sides of the equation by it, and then integrating both sides to obtain the solution. However, the specific method may vary depending on the type of differential equation and its coefficients.

3. Can a differential equation with variable coefficients have multiple solutions?

Yes, a differential equation with variable coefficients can have multiple solutions. This is because the solution to a differential equation is not unique and can be affected by the initial conditions and the choice of integrating factor.

4. Are there any special techniques for solving a differential equation with variable coefficients?

Yes, there are several special techniques that can be used to solve specific types of differential equations with variable coefficients. These include the method of variation of parameters, the method of undetermined coefficients, and the method of series solutions.

5. How are differential equations with variable coefficients used in science?

Differential equations with variable coefficients are used in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and biology. They are used to model and analyze various physical phenomena, such as motion, heat transfer, and population growth, and to make predictions and solve real-world problems.