1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find sound wavelength from a vibrating string

1. Aug 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Sound Wavelength From String
    During a concert a pianist hits a key that sets up a standing wave in a piano string that is vibrating in its fundamental mode. The string is 0.5 m long, has a mass density of 0.002 kg/m and is held under a tension of 120 N. What is the wavelength of the sound wave heard by the listener? The speed of sound in air is 343 m/s.
    v (sound) = 343 m/s
    L (length) = 0.5 m
    d (mass density) = 0.002 kg/m
    T (tension) = 120 N
    λ (wavelength) = unknown

2. Relevant equations
    v = f*λ = ω/k

f = frequency
    k = spring constant
    ω = angular frequency

v = √(T/(m/L))

T = force of tension
    m = mass
    L = length

3. The attempt at a solution
    At first I attempted a solution using the second equation provided, however I am not quite sure what I would be solving for since the speed of sound in air is provided. Using the second equation I find the speed of the wave itself, but I am not sure how to apply the two speeds to finding the wavelength of the sound wave? Please help me with this problem!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First find the frequency of vibration of the string.

4. Aug 16, 2012 #3
    The fundametnal frequency is [tex] f_1=\frac{1}{2L}\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}[/tex] They're giving you the info to find the frequency, they're giving you the velocity, so use that to find wavelength.

5. Aug 16, 2012 #4

CAF123

Gold Member

Just to add:
    The frequency of vibration, [itex] f = \frac{v}{λ} = \frac{nv}{2L} [/itex]. The allowed wavelengths are: [itex] λ = \frac{2L}{n}, [/itex] where n is the mode of oscillation.

Note also, in your listing of equations, you write that [itex] v = \frac{ω}{k} [/itex] and say that [itex] k [/itex] is the spring constant. This is not the case here, instead it is defined as the wavenumber, where [itex] k = \frac{2π}{λ}. [/itex] Substitution of this and [itex] ω = 2πf [/itex] gives back [itex] v = fλ. [/itex]

6. Aug 16, 2012 #5
    Wow! Thank you so much. That made a lot more sense to me than when I first attempted the problem. Thanks :)

7. Aug 16, 2012 #6
    Just to double check with you, the μ in this case is referring to the density given correct?

8. Aug 16, 2012 #7
    yes, μ is the linear mass density, kg/m, which is what you're given as "d" actually.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook