Find sound wavelength from a vibrating string

In summary, the problem involves a pianist hitting a key that sets up a standing wave in a piano string, with a length of 0.5 m, mass density of 0.002 kg/m, and tension of 120 N. The goal is to find the wavelength of the sound wave heard by the listener, given a speed of sound in air of 343 m/s. To solve this, the frequency of vibration of the string is first found using the fundamental frequency equation. Then, using the equation for the allowed wavelengths, the wavelength of the sound wave can be calculated. Finally, the linear mass density provided in the problem is used in the equation for the wavenumber to find the speed of the sound wave,
kchurchi

Homework Statement

Sound Wavelength From String
During a concert a pianist hits a key that sets up a standing wave in a piano string that is vibrating in its fundamental mode. The string is 0.5 m long, has a mass density of 0.002 kg/m and is held under a tension of 120 N. What is the wavelength of the sound wave heard by the listener? The speed of sound in air is 343 m/s.
v (sound) = 343 m/s
L (length) = 0.5 m
d (mass density) = 0.002 kg/m
T (tension) = 120 N
λ (wavelength) = unknown

Homework Equations

v = f*λ = ω/k

f = frequency
k = spring constant
ω = angular frequency

v = √(T/(m/L))

T = force of tension
m = mass
L = length

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I attempted a solution using the second equation provided, however I am not quite sure what I would be solving for since the speed of sound in air is provided. Using the second equation I find the speed of the wave itself, but I am not sure how to apply the two speeds to finding the wavelength of the sound wave? Please help me with this problem!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First find the frequency of vibration of the string.

The fundametnal frequency is [tex] f_1=\frac{1}{2L}\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}[/tex] They're giving you the info to find the frequency, they're giving you the velocity, so use that to find wavelength.

Just to add:
The frequency of vibration, [itex] f = \frac{v}{λ} = \frac{nv}{2L} [/itex]. The allowed wavelengths are: [itex] λ = \frac{2L}{n}, [/itex] where n is the mode of oscillation.

Note also, in your listing of equations, you write that [itex] v = \frac{ω}{k} [/itex] and say that [itex] k [/itex] is the spring constant. This is not the case here, instead it is defined as the wavenumber, where [itex] k = \frac{2π}{λ}. [/itex] Substitution of this and [itex] ω = 2πf [/itex] gives back [itex] v = fλ. [/itex]

Wow! Thank you so much. That made a lot more sense to me than when I first attempted the problem. Thanks :)

Just to double check with you, the μ in this case is referring to the density given correct?

yes, μ is the linear mass density, kg/m, which is what you're given as "d" actually.

What is the definition of sound wavelength?

The sound wavelength is the distance between two consecutive crests or troughs of a sound wave. It is measured in meters (m) or other units of length.

How is sound wavelength related to frequency?

Sound wavelength is inversely proportional to frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, the sound wavelength decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: wavelength = speed of sound / frequency.

How can I find the sound wavelength from a vibrating string?

To find the sound wavelength from a vibrating string, you can use the formula: wavelength = 2 x length of string x frequency. This formula assumes that the string is vibrating at its fundamental frequency (the lowest possible frequency).

What factors affect the sound wavelength of a vibrating string?

The sound wavelength of a vibrating string is affected by the length, tension, and mass of the string. As these factors change, the frequency of the string's vibration changes, resulting in a different sound wavelength.

How is sound wavelength measured?

Sound wavelength can be measured using a device called an oscilloscope, which measures the length of a sound wave in terms of time. The time measurement can then be converted to a distance measurement using the speed of sound in air (approximately 343 meters per second at room temperature).