Find Tangents to Parabola Passing Through Point A (5,-2)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mentallic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Parabola
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 9K views
Homework Helper
Messages
3,802
Reaction score
95

Homework Statement



I am given the parabola [tex]y=\frac{x^2}{2}[/tex]

I need to find the equations of the 2 tangents to the parabola that pass through the point A(5,-2)



Homework Equations



[tex]y-y_{1}=m(x-x_{1})[/tex]

[tex]a = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]
therefore: tangents pass through the points [tex]P(p,\frac{p^{2}}{2})[/tex] and [tex]Q(q,\frac{q^{2}}{2})[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=x[/tex]



The Attempt at a Solution



I began to check if the given point was outside the parabola
i.e. [tex]y_{1}<\frac{x^{2}_{1}}{2}[/tex]

[tex]-2<\frac{5}{2}[/tex] therefore, the point lies outside the parabola and there are 2 lines that will pass through the point, and are a tangent to the parabola.

[tex]y+2=m(x-5)[/tex] where there are 2 values of m, each intersecting the parabola only once. i.e. tangent to parabola.

From here I am totally stumped. I can't use the 1st derivative as I don't know the x value for which the gradient will pass through the point.
Any help would be much appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I need to find the equations of the 2 tangents to the parabola that pass through the point A(5,-2)

This means that your equation of your line must pass through two given points.

(5, -2) is one of them, so your equation [tex]y+2=m(x-5)[/tex] is a good place to start.

First, what is m? Remember, m is your slope...

Once you got that, now where does that second point have to be? If the line is tangent to the parabola with equation [tex]y=\frac{x^2}{2}[/tex]...
 
You want to find (x, y) such that y= m(x- 5)- 2 and y'(x)= m. You should certainly be able to find the derivative of y in terms of x. Putting that in for y' gives three equations for x, y, and m. this will, of course, reduce to a quadratic equation so you can expect two solutions: two tangents.