What is the minimum distance between a tangent and normal of a parabola?

In summary, the minimum distance between a tangent and normal at two points on a parabola can be found by setting the derivative of the distance formula to 0 and solving for the parameter t. This results in a polynomial equation in terms of t, which can be solved to find the minimum distance. The tangent and normal will be parallel to each other when the chord connecting the two points is parallel to the y-axis.
utkarshakash
Gold Member
Tangent and normal parabola

Homework Statement

P is a point 't' on the parabola y^2=4ax and PQ is a focal chord. PT is a tangent at P and QN is a normal at Q. The minimum distance between PT and QN is equal to

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think minimum distance will occur when the chord PQ is parallel to Y-axis. In other words, the normal at Q will be parallel to the tangent at P. In that case I can apply the formula for calculating the distance between two parallel lines. But this does not give correct answer. I also thought about 0 but I don't think these questions have such simple answers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:
I think minimum distance will occur when the chord PQ is parallel to Y-axis

Unless you have some reason to believe that, I'd consider it to be a big stab in the dark.

My approach was rather tedious, but I always remembered these parametric parabolas to be like that, so there might not be a much simpler approach.
I began with finding the equations for PT and QN, then deriving the distance formula for the distance between two parallel lines, I had my distance in terms of y0 (which is the y-value of the point P) and the constant a. Then I took the derivative of the distance d with respect to y0 and equated that to 0.

The answer isn't something that you can simply guess.

Mentallic said:
Unless you have some reason to believe that, I'd consider it to be a big stab in the dark.

My approach was rather tedious, but I always remembered these parametric parabolas to be like that, so there might not be a much simpler approach.
I began with finding the equations for PT and QN, then deriving the distance formula for the distance between two parallel lines, I had my distance in terms of y0 (which is the y-value of the point P) and the constant a. Then I took the derivative of the distance d with respect to y0 and equated that to 0.

The answer isn't something that you can simply guess.

But how can you say that the tangent at P and normal at Q will be parallel to each other?

utkarshakash said:
But how can you say that the tangent at P and normal at Q will be parallel to each other?

Well I proved it for myself, but didn't bother mentioning it because I assumed you accepted it to be true for whatever reason since you didn't seem to question it in your first post.

If you find PT and QN then you simply show that their gradients are equal.

Mentallic said:
Well I proved it for myself, but didn't bother mentioning it because I assumed you accepted it to be true for whatever reason since you didn't seem to question it in your first post.

If you find PT and QN then you simply show that their gradients are equal.

Never mind. I figured it out. But my real concern lies in finding the 't'. I followed your approach and reached a point where I get a 7 degree equation in t. Do I really need to solve for t? I assume not because the answer has a as well as 't' in it. If there were a particular 't' for minimum distance, then the answer would be free from 't', but that's not the case here.

So you have an expression that's

[tex]d=f(t,a)[/tex]

where d is the distance, t is the parameter, and a is the focus, and d is a 7th degree polynomial in terms of t?

Given two parallel lines

[tex]y_1=mx+b[/tex]

[tex]y_2=mx+c[/tex]

What is the distance between them?

Mentallic said:
So you have an expression that's

[tex]d=f(t,a)[/tex]

where d is the distance, t is the parameter, and a is the focus, and d is a 7th degree polynomial in terms of t?

Given two parallel lines

[tex]y_1=mx+b[/tex]

[tex]y_2=mx+c[/tex]

What is the distance between them?

[itex]\dfrac{b-c}{\sqrt{1+m^2}}[/itex]

In this case the distance comes out to be

[itex]\dfrac{at^2 + \frac{2a}{t} + \frac{a}{t^3}}{\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{t^2}}}[/itex]

Differentiating and setting it to zero gives me

[itex]2t^4+3t^2-2t- \frac{3}{t} - \frac{2}{t^3}=0[/itex]

Ok so I see you've used the parameters [itex]P(at^2,2at)[/itex]. This does ring a bell from school.

utkarshakash said:
[itex]\dfrac{b-c}{\sqrt{1+m^2}}[/itex]

Technically it would be the absolute value of that, but we can easily fix b>c and it doesn't really change anything.

utkarshakash said:
In this case the distance comes out to be

[itex]\dfrac{at^2 + \frac{2a}{t} + \frac{a}{t^3}}{\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{t^2}}}[/itex]

I get at rather than at2 for that first term in the numerator. Do you agree that PT is

[tex]y-2at=\frac{1}{t}(x-at^2)[/tex]

and QN is

[tex]y+\frac{2a}{t}=\frac{1}{t}(x-\frac{a}{t^2})[/tex]

Mentallic said:
Ok so I see you've used the parameters [itex]P(at^2,2at)[/itex]. This does ring a bell from school.

Technically it would be the absolute value of that, but we can easily fix b>c and it doesn't really change anything.

I get at rather than at2 for that first term in the numerator. Do you agree that PT is

[tex]y-2at=\frac{1}{t}(x-at^2)[/tex]

and QN is

[tex]y+\frac{2a}{t}=\frac{1}{t}(x-\frac{a}{t^2})[/tex]

Yes. It was a silly mistake from my side.
So the final equation changes to

[itex]-(1+t^2)\left( 1 - \dfrac{2}{t^2} - \dfrac{3}{t^4} \right) = \left( 1 + \dfrac{2}{t^2} + \dfrac{1}{t^4} \right)[/itex]

I hope I'm right this time.

utkarshakash said:
Yes. It was a silly mistake from my side.
So the final equation changes to

[itex]-(1+t^2)\left( 1 - \dfrac{2}{t^2} - \dfrac{3}{t^4} \right) = \left( 1 + \dfrac{2}{t^2} + \dfrac{1}{t^4} \right)[/itex]

I hope I'm right this time.

What is that? The derivative of d with respect to t? There are no real solutions for t when setting that to 0, which wouldn't make any sense in this context since it explains where the minimum or maximum of the distance must occur.

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\left( \frac{at+\frac{2a}{t}+\frac{a}{t^3}}{\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{t^2}}}\right) = \frac{a\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{t^2}}\left( t^2-2\right) }{t^2}[/tex]

Mentallic said:
What is that? The derivative of d with respect to t? There are no real solutions for t when setting that to 0, which wouldn't make any sense in this context since it explains where the minimum or maximum of the distance must occur.

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\left( \frac{at+\frac{2a}{t}+\frac{a}{t^3}}{\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{t^2}}}\right) = \frac{a\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{t^2}}\left( t^2-2\right) }{t^2}[/tex]

Can you explain what have you done here?

I used the product rule.

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\left( \frac{at+\frac{2a}{t}+\frac{a}{t^3}}{\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{t^2}}}\right)= a\cdot \frac{d}{dt}\left( \frac{t+\frac{2}{t}+\frac{1}{t^3}}{\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{t^2}}}\right)[/tex]

Let

[tex]u=at+2at^{-1}+at^{-3} [/tex]

[tex]v= (1+t^{-2})^{-1/2}[/tex]

Then

[tex]u'v+uv' = (a-2at^{-2}-3at^{-4})(1+t^{-2})^{-1/2}+(at+2at^{-1}+at^{-3})\cdot -1/2\cdot (1+t^{-2})^{-3/2}\cdot -2t^{-3}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{a-2at^{-2}-3at^{-4}}{(1+t^{-2})^{1/2}}+\frac{at+2at^{-1}+at^{-3}}{t^3(1+t^{-2})^{3/2}}[/tex]

Now we'll factor out anything that's in common and anything that will make things more simple for us. We'll also factor out a t-2 from the denominators so we're only dealing with polynomials.

[tex]=\frac{a\sqrt{1+t^{-2}}}{t^2}\left(\frac{t^2-2-3t^{-2}}{t^{-2}(t^2+1)}+\frac{t^3+2t+t^{-1}}{t^3(t^{-2})^2(t^2+1)^2}\right)[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{a\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{t^2}}}{t^2}\left(\frac{t^4-2t^2-3}{t^2+1}+\frac{t^4+2t^2+1}{(t^2+1)^2}\right)[/tex]

I'm sure you can take it from here. The numerators factor nicely.

Mentallic said:
I used the product rule.

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\left( \frac{at+\frac{2a}{t}+\frac{a}{t^3}}{\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{t^2}}}\right)= a\cdot \frac{d}{dt}\left( \frac{t+\frac{2}{t}+\frac{1}{t^3}}{\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{t^2}}}\right)[/tex]

Let

[tex]u=at+2at^{-1}+at^{-3} [/tex]

[tex]v= (1+t^{-2})^{-1/2}[/tex]

Then

[tex]u'v+uv' = (a-2at^{-2}-3at^{-4})(1+t^{-2})^{-1/2}+(at+2at^{-1}+at^{-3})\cdot -1/2\cdot (1+t^{-2})^{-3/2}\cdot -2t^{-3}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{a-2at^{-2}-3at^{-4}}{(1+t^{-2})^{1/2}}+\frac{at+2at^{-1}+at^{-3}}{t^3(1+t^{-2})^{3/2}}[/tex]

Now we'll factor out anything that's in common and anything that will make things more simple for us. We'll also factor out a t-2 from the denominators so we're only dealing with polynomials.

[tex]=\frac{a\sqrt{1+t^{-2}}}{t^2}\left(\frac{t^2-2-3t^{-2}}{t^{-2}(t^2+1)}+\frac{t^3+2t+t^{-1}}{t^3(t^{-2})^2(t^2+1)^2}\right)[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{a\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{t^2}}}{t^2}\left(\frac{t^4-2t^2-3}{t^2+1}+\frac{t^4+2t^2+1}{(t^2+1)^2}\right)[/tex]

I'm sure you can take it from here. The numerators factor nicely.

I'd really like to thank you for the effort you've made in posting all the steps of differentiation. Since you already told that setting the derivative to 0 wouldn't give me a real 't' then how can this derivative help me?

utkarshakash said:
I'd really like to thank you for the effort you've made in posting all the steps of differentiation. Since you already told that setting the derivative to 0 wouldn't give me a real 't' then how can this derivative help me?

Sorry, I didn't mean to insult your intelligence, but you did ask me to explain how I got the result that I did. If you simplify the part in the brackets that I left for you to do, you'll find it's equal to [itex]t^2-2[/itex] which means that when you set the result equal to 0, [itex]t=\pm \sqrt{2}[/itex].

utkarshakash said:
[itex]\left( 1 + \dfrac{2}{t^2} + \dfrac{1}{t^4} \right)[/itex]

There is no real t that let's this expression equal 0. I'm also still not sure what this was supposed to be.

Mentallic said:
Sorry, I didn't mean to insult your intelligence

Don't take me wrong. I was only appreciating you :smile:Finally, I arrived at the correct answer. Thanks for helping me out with this difficult question.

Oh, I guess I was sensing sarcasm where there wasn't any :biggrin:

You're welcome! I do wonder if there is a simpler solution though.

1. What is a "Tangent ad normal parabola"?

A tangent ad normal parabola is a type of parabola that has a tangent line and a normal line (perpendicular to the tangent line) passing through a specific point on the parabola.

2. How do you find the tangent and normal lines of a parabola?

To find the tangent line of a parabola at a specific point, you can use the derivative of the parabola's equation. The slope of the tangent line will be equal to the derivative at that point. To find the normal line, you can use the negative reciprocal of the derivative at the given point.

3. What is the significance of the tangent and normal lines in a parabola?

The tangent line represents the instantaneous rate of change of the parabola at a specific point, while the normal line represents the perpendicular direction of the tangent line. These lines are important in understanding the behavior and characteristics of the parabola at that point.

4. Can a parabola have multiple tangent and normal lines?

Yes, a parabola can have multiple tangent and normal lines at different points along its curve. However, at any given point, there can only be one tangent and one normal line.

5. How does the position of the focus and directrix affect the tangent and normal lines of a parabola?

The position of the focus and directrix can affect the slope and position of the tangent and normal lines of a parabola. For example, if the focus is above the directrix, the tangent line will have a negative slope and the normal line will have a positive slope. Additionally, the distance between the focus and directrix can also affect the length of the tangent and normal lines.