Find tension force of a cable and components of reaction force of pivot

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving finding the tension in a wire using torque. The student has tried using a right triangle and the force equation, but is unsure of the correct approach. They are also struggling with drawing a diagram and finding the appropriate formulas to use. The other person suggests using torque and labeling all forces and angles on the diagram provided. The student is grateful for the advice and will try it out.
kurispice

Homework Statement

Please see attached photos. I've been drawing and re-drawing diagrams but I'm at a loss. For part a, I've tried a right triangle using the top cable as the hypotenuse. I've tried the force equation (ƩF=ma) but I don't think that's right. I just can't get a start.

Homework Equations

See attached photo with help describing situation. Note also the angle ∅ has been changed from the book's problem from 65 to 55 degrees.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've started a diagram but I do not know what formulas to use for the math.
If you could walk me through the problem that would be great! I have an exam coming up in two days and have no other help in between.

Attachments

• IMAG0354.jpg
    IMAG0354.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 585
  • IMAG0355-1.jpg
    IMAG0355-1.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 530
  • IMAG0356-1.jpg
    IMAG0356-1.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 616
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to use torque to find the tension in the wire, none of your work or what you mentioned seems to point to using torque.

How do I use torque without knowing the distance in this formula? torque=F times distance
Also, how do I draw a diagram for each part of the problem?

Use [itex]\ell[/itex] in your formulas, since they don't give you a length most likely it will drop out.

For a diagram, draw the rod and label all forces on it, with the angles included. They more or less gave you a diagram, so all that's left to do it label the forces and angles more clearly.

Okay, thanks so much!
I'll try that now.

1. What is tension force and how is it calculated?

Tension force is the force exerted by a cable when it is pulled at both ends. It is calculated by using the equation F = Tension x Length, where F is the tension force, Tension is the force per unit length of the cable, and Length is the length of the cable.

2. What are the components of reaction force of a pivot?

The components of reaction force of a pivot are the normal force and the frictional force. The normal force is perpendicular to the surface the pivot is resting on, and the frictional force is parallel to the surface and acts in the opposite direction of motion.

3. How do you find the tension force of a cable in a system with multiple cables and pivots?

In a system with multiple cables and pivots, the tension force can be found by considering the equilibrium of each individual cable and pivot. This involves setting up equations using the forces acting on each cable and pivot and solving for the tension force using the principle of equilibrium.

4. What factors affect the tension force of a cable?

The tension force of a cable is affected by its length, the material it is made of, the angle at which it is pulled, and the weight of any objects attached to it. The tension force also depends on the magnitude of the external forces acting on the cable.

5. How is the tension force of a cable related to the components of reaction force of a pivot?

The tension force of a cable is directly related to the components of reaction force of a pivot. These forces are equal and opposite to the tension force, as the pivot acts as a support for the cable and experiences an equal and opposite reaction force to the tension force exerted by the cable.