Find the acceleration and the work done by a force pulling a spool?

In summary, the conversation involves a student who has solved the first part of a problem but is unsure of the correct answer according to their book. They are discussing the difference in signs in their answer and the book's answer, and eventually realize that the sign in their calculation was incorrect. They also discuss finding the work done by a force in the problem. The expert summarizer suggests using force x distance or kinetic energy as methods for finding the work done. Additionally, they point out a typo in the student's final answer.
Davidllerenav
Homework Statement
A spool with thread wound on it, of mass m, rests on a rough horizontal surface. Its moment of inertia relative to its own axis is equal to ##I=\gamma mR^2##, where ##\gamma## is a numerical factor, and ##R## is the outside radius of the spool. The radius of the wound thread layer is equal to ##r##. The spool is pulled without sliding by the thread with constant force F directed at an angle ##\alpha## to the horizontal. Find:

a) the projection of the acceleration vector of the spool axis on the x-axis.
b)the work performed by the force during the first ##t## seconds after the beginning of motio.
Relevant Equations
Laws of Newton.
##\tau=lF\sin\theta##
##\tau=l\times F##
##\sum\tau=I\alpha##
bobina.PNG

I already solved the first part, but according the my book, the answer isn't quite correct. This is what I did.
Image (9).jpg

Finally, I ended up with ##a=\frac{F(r-R\cos\alpha)}{Rm(\gamma+1)}##. But according to my book, the answer is ##a=\frac{F(\cos\alpha-\frac{r}{R})}{m(1+\gamma)}##, what am I doing wrong?
For the second part, I don't know how to find the work done by the force ##F##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Davidllerenav said:
Finally, I ended up with ##a=\frac{F(r-R\cos\alpha)}{Rm(\gamma+1)}##. But according to my book, the answer is ##a=\frac{F(\cos\alpha-\frac{r}{R})}{m(1+\gamma)}##, what am I doing wrong?
The only difference is the sign. Maybe you are defining the positive direction for the acceleration opposite to the way the book defines it.

haruspex said:
The only difference is the sign. Maybe you are defining the positive direction for the acceleration opposite to the way the book defines it.
Yes, I think so. Does that mean that I'm not wrong? I was wondering, in what direction does the spool move?

Davidllerenav said:
Yes, I think so. Does that mean that I'm not wrong? I was wondering, in what direction does the spool move?
Looking at your working (it is painful referencing lines in work posted as image; please don't do that, images are for diagrams and book extracts), you have an error after the line ##F\cos(\alpha)-F_r=ma##.

haruspex said:
(it is painful referencing lines in work posted as image; please don't do that, images are for diagrams and book extracts)
Sorry, I just did it so to avoid writing everything and taking indidual images for diagrams.
haruspex said:
you have an error after the line Fcos(α)−Fr=maFcos⁡(α)−Fr=maF\cos(\alpha)-F_r=ma.
Oh, it should be ##F_r=F\cos\alpha-ma##, right?

Davidllerenav said:
Sorry, I just did it so to avoid writing everything and taking indidual images for diagrams.

Oh, it should be ##F_r=F\cos\alpha-ma##, right?
Right, and that should give you the right sign in the answer.

haruspex said:
Right, and that should give you the right sign in the answer.
But wouldn't that give me ##m(\gamma-1)## on the denominator?

Davidllerenav said:
But wouldn't that give me ##m(\gamma-1)## on the denominator?
I think I did it, I ended up with ##a=\frac {F\cdot r-F\cos\alpha}{-Rm (\gamma+1)}## thus I have ##a=\frac {F\cos\alpha-F\cdot r}{Rm (\gamma+1)}## , am I right?

How can I find the work done.by ##F##?

Davidllerenav said:
I think I did it, I ended up with ##a=\frac {F\cdot r-F\cos\alpha}{-Rm (\gamma+1)}## thus I have ##a=\frac {F\cos\alpha-F\cdot r}{Rm (\gamma+1)}## , am I right?

How can I find the work done.by ##F##?
Hard to be sure whether your method is now entirely right without seeing all of your latest working. One thing to be careful of is consistency of signs in "a=αR" equations. In the present case, if you are defining a to be right-positive then that makes α clockwise-positive.

For the work you have two options. You can use force x distance or KE achieved. The former can be tricky where the point of application of the force is moving - which is the distance to use? So safer to find the velocity reached.

Edit: just noticed you have dropped an R in the top line in your final answer for a, making it dimensionally inconsistent. I assume that is a typo.

1. What is acceleration and how is it calculated?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

2. How do you find the acceleration of a spool being pulled by a force?

To find the acceleration of a spool being pulled by a force, you will need to know the mass of the spool and the magnitude and direction of the force. Then, you can use the equation a = F/m to calculate the acceleration.

3. What is the formula for work done by a force?

The formula for work done by a force is W = F*d, where F is the magnitude of the force and d is the distance over which the force is applied.

4. How do you calculate the work done by a force pulling a spool?

To calculate the work done by a force pulling a spool, you will need to know the magnitude and direction of the force, as well as the distance the spool is pulled. Then, you can use the formula W = F*d to calculate the work done.

5. What are the units for acceleration and work?

The units for acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s^2), and the units for work are joules (J).