Find the angles in a tension on 2 ropes problem

In summary, the problem involves a 4.50 kg block of gruyere cheese being suspended by two ropes, with the left rope having a tension of 28.3 N and the right rope having a tension of 40.5 N. The goal is to find the angles θ1 and θ2 formed by the ropes, using Newton's second law and the trigonometric identities provided in the problem. After an hour of attempting to solve for one of the thetas using the equation for the x-axis and then substituting it into the equation for the y-axis, the person seeking help is still unsure if they are on the right track. They are looking for assistance in solving for both thetas.
bkhurley

Homework Statement

A 4.50 kg block of gruyere cheese is suspended as shown. Rope 1 on the left has a tension of 28.3 N; rope 2 on the right has a tension of 40.5 N.
(a) What is θ1, the angle made by rope 1? (b) What is θ2? State each angle as the positive angle "inside" the triangle the ropes form.
http://i47.tinypic.com/ivy260.png

Homework Equations

Newton's second law
The problem also included these identities:
http://i47.tinypic.com/mtxv1z.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve for one of the thetas using the equation for the x-axis
T1cosθ1+T2cosθ2 = 0

and then substitute it in the equation for the y-axis *trying* to use the trig identities
T1sinθ1+T2sinθ2 = mg

I doubt I'm doing it right but either way I'm way stuck after an hour
help!please!

Physics news on Phys.org
bkhurley said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve for one of the thetas using the equation for the x-axis
T1cosθ1+T2cosθ2 = 0

and then substitute it in the equation for the y-axis *trying* to use the trig identities
T1sinθ1+T2sinθ2 = mg

I doubt I'm doing it right but either way I'm way stuck after an hour
help!please!

this one should be T1cosθ1-T2cosθ2 = 0

yes you are going correct, just take the equation I corrected for you and isolate either T1 or T2 and substitute into the next equation.

okay sounds good but I'm not solving for T I'm solving for both thetas

1. How do I determine the angles in a tension on 2 ropes problem?

To determine the angles in a tension on 2 ropes problem, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions can help you find the angles by using the lengths of the ropes and the known forces acting on them.

2. What information do I need to solve a tension on 2 ropes problem?

In order to solve a tension on 2 ropes problem, you will need to know the lengths of the ropes, the magnitudes of the forces acting on them, and the direction of the forces. It is also helpful to have a diagram or sketch of the problem to visualize the situation.

3. Can I use the Pythagorean theorem to solve a tension on 2 ropes problem?

Yes, the Pythagorean theorem can be used to solve a tension on 2 ropes problem, as it relates the lengths of the sides of a right triangle. However, you will also need to use trigonometric functions to find the angles in the problem.

4. Are there any other methods for solving a tension on 2 ropes problem?

Yes, there are other methods for solving a tension on 2 ropes problem, such as using vector addition or resolving the forces into their components. However, using trigonometric functions is the most common and straightforward approach.

5. How do I check my answers for a tension on 2 ropes problem?

To check your answers for a tension on 2 ropes problem, you can use the principle of conservation of forces. This means that the sum of all forces acting on an object should equal zero when taking into account the direction of the forces. You can also try solving the problem using a different method to see if you get the same result.