What are the tension and angle of support rope for a cylinder about to slip?

• Thread starter Vitani11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fbd
In summary, the tension in the support rope is equal to (mass x gravity) / 2 and the angle the rope makes with the vertical wall is about 20 degrees.
Vitani11

Homework Statement

A uniform cylinder with mass 100kg, length 4.0m, and radius 12cm is supported by a rope as shown. The coefficient of static friction between the cylinder and the horizontal is 0.60. The cylinder is just about to slip to the right. What is the tension in the support rope and the angle the rope makes with the vertical wall?

Homework Equations

Sum of forces
Sum of torques

The Attempt at a Solution

Will post below.

Attachments

• IMG_16881.jpg
    IMG_16881.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 373
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm getting that the tension is equal to (mass x gravity) / 2

I did not get the same result as you did. But I have to say that I don't have a lot of confidence in my result. It would help if you could show your work.

Edit: I guess I didn't answer your question in the title of the post. The FBD looks right, although I probably would have drawn the friction force facing the opposite direction.

Last edited:
Vitani11 said:

Homework Statement

A uniform cylinder with mass 100kg, length 4.0m, and radius 12cm is supported by a rope as shown. The coefficient of static friction between the cylinder and the horizontal is 0.60. The cylinder is just about to slip to the right. What is the tension in the support rope and the angle the rope makes with the vertical wall?...

Are you sure of direction of frictional force ?

That's how the problem was stated. I didn't think it would be physically possible to slip right either, if that's what you're saying.

Vitani11 said:
I didn't think it would be physically possible to slip right either, if that's what you're saying.
Note that the tension force has a horizontal component to the right. What keeps the cylinder from sliding to the right?

Buffu is asking you to think about the direction of the friction force acting on the cylinder.

Likes SammyS
Vitani11 said:
That's how the problem was stated. I didn't think it would be physically possible to slip right either, if that's what you're saying.
Drawing the force as acting to the right only means that is taken as the positive direction for purposes of writing equations. It does not matter whether it will in fact act that way. If it doesn't, the value will come out negative. You just have to be consistent in the algebra.

haruspex said:
Drawing the force as acting to the right only means that is taken as the positive direction for purposes of writing equations. It does not matter whether it will in fact act that way. If it doesn't, the value will come out negative. You just have to be consistent in the algebra.
Often a negative answer for an unknown force tells you that the direction of the force is opposite to what you assumed, but the magnitude is nevertheless correct.

But when dealing with friction you sometimes have to be careful. If I set this problem up with friction assumed to be toward the right, then I get very different answers for the magnitudes of N, f, T and θ compared to assuming friction is toward the left.

TSny said:
Often you can use the sign of the answer for an unknown force to tell you that the direction of the force is opposite to what you assumed, but the magnitude is nevertheless correct.

But when dealing with friction you sometimes have to be careful. If I set this problem up with friction assumed to be toward the right, then I get very different answers for the magnitudes of N, f, T and θ compared to assuming friction is toward the left.
Yes and no. In general, static friction force is constrained by ##|F_{sf}|<=\mu_s|F_{normal}|##. If told it is on the point of slipping that becomes ##|F_{sf}|=\mu_s|F_{normal}|##. The correct sign should emerge from consideration of the horizontal force balance.

haruspex said:
Yes and no. In general, static friction force is constrained by ##|F_{sf}|<=\mu_s|F_{normal}|##. If told it is on the point of slipping that becomes ##|F_{sf}|=\mu_s|F_{normal}|##. The correct sign should emerge from consideration of the horizontal force balance.
Yes. But if I blindly assume the wrong direction for the friction force, substitute |fs| = μs |N|, and then just mechanically go through the algebra, I get different results for the magnitudes of the forces compared to if I had assumed the correct direction for the friction force.

As you say, you can deduce the correct direction of the friction force from the balancing of forces, as I was hinting to the OP in post #6.

TSny said:
if I blindly assume the wrong direction for the friction force, substitute |fs| = μs|N|
No, it's only a problem if you substitute fs = μs|N|.

haruspex said:
No, it's only a problem if you substitute fs = μs|N|.
Well, maybe we can come back to this later. I don't want to write any equations at this point since Vitani11 has yet to show us any equations.

Here is what I have. The direction for the first term in the torque equation should be negative, but it's fixed in the next line. I used the base of the cylinder as the pivot.

Attachments

• IMG_16921.jpg
    IMG_16921.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_16931.jpg
    IMG_16931.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 373
Vitani11 said:
Here is what I have. The direction for the first term in the torque equation should be negative, but it's fixed in the next line. I used the base of the cylinder as the pivot.
Your torque equation looks wrong in several ways. You are taking moments about the point of contact with the ground, right?
What is the horizontal distance from that point to the mass centre of the cylinder (be careful)?
If you resolve the tension into horizontal and vertical components, each has a moment about the axis.

The line extending from the point of contact of the cylinder with the floor and through the center of mass, continuing on through point of attachment of the rope, does not make an angle of 20° with the horizontal. That angle is somewhat more than 3° (actually about 0.06 rad) greater than 20°.

I've gotten the torque equation as τ= -(L/2)mgsinϕ - LsinϕTsinθ + LTcosθcosϕ. L is the length of the cylinder and T is tension.

Vitani11 said:
I've gotten the torque equation as τ= -(L/2)mgsinϕ - LsinϕTsinθ + LTcosθcosϕ. L is the length of the cylinder and T is tension.
I don't know whether your φ is the 20 degrees or the 70 degrees, but either way, the horizontal distance from point of contact to mass centre is not (L/2)sinϕ, the horizontal distance to point of attachment of cable is not Lcos φ, and the vertical distance to point of attachment is not L sin φ. The cylinder has width.

Vitani11 said:
However, ##\ \phi \ne 20^\circ \ ## .

SammyS said:
However, ##\ \phi \ne 20^\circ \ ## .
But is not sufficient to change the angle. The length has to be changed too. I feel it is simpler not to worry about calculating the right length and the right angle, but simply work in terms of components of distance parallel to and normal to the cylinder's axis,

1. What is tension in relation to a cylinder about to slip?

Tension refers to the force applied to an object in order to prevent it from moving or slipping. In the case of a cylinder about to slip, the tension in the support rope is what keeps the cylinder in place.

2. How is tension calculated for a cylinder about to slip?

The tension in a support rope can be calculated using the formula T = mg + ma, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the cylinder, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the angular acceleration of the cylinder. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula T = F * sin(θ), where F is the force applied to the rope and θ is the angle of the support rope.

3. What factors affect the tension in the support rope for a cylinder about to slip?

The tension in the support rope is affected by several factors, including the mass of the cylinder, the force applied to the rope, the angle of the support rope, and the coefficient of friction between the cylinder and its surface. Additionally, the length and elasticity of the rope can also affect the tension.

4. What is the optimal angle for the support rope to prevent a cylinder from slipping?

The optimal angle for the support rope will depend on the specific conditions of the cylinder and its surroundings. In general, a smaller angle will result in a higher tension in the rope, making it less likely for the cylinder to slip. However, the angle should also be practical and safe for the object and its surroundings.

5. How can the tension in the support rope be adjusted to prevent a cylinder from slipping?

The tension in the support rope can be adjusted by changing the force applied to the rope or the angle of the support rope. Increasing the force or decreasing the angle will result in a higher tension, while decreasing the force or increasing the angle will result in a lower tension. It is important to find the right balance to prevent the cylinder from slipping without causing any damage.