1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the bit string for the following sets.

1. Feb 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The a universal set: u = {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10}

1) Find the bit string for b = {4,3,3,5,2,3,3,}

2) Find the bit string for the union of two sets.

2. Relevant equations

1)Would I first begin this problem by realizing that set b is the same as {2,3,4,5}?

3. The attempt at a solution

1)If so, then the bit string would 0111100000.

2)Would I say that the union of two sets would give a truth table such as 1110. Is this correct?

Is this correct? thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It would be helpful for you to tell us what b actually is. There is not usually any indication in a set of whether any of the elements are duplicates, so it's not clear to me what {4, 3, 3, 5, 2, 3, 3} is supposed to represent.

Otherwise, if what you are supposed to do is show a string of bits that indicates the elements in b, then {0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0} seems reasonable to me.

The union of two sets is all those elements that are in the first set, or in the second set, or in their intersection.

4. Feb 5, 2012 #3
    The problem gives b to be a subset of the universal set. And b is the set of those elements "b = {4,3,3,5,2,3,3}". The question just asked me to find a bit string using the universal set given above. So I'm assuming that the duplicates can be done away with so that b is really just the set b = (2,3,4,5}. (Forgive me for not using an upper case b. I didn't think about it originally so I will use lower case for continuity.)

Also, the problem in the paper did not specify any sets for question number 2. It doesn't give any universal set or any other two sets. It was just a general question I'm assuming that the teacher meant that represents ALL sets. If that is not actually possible, then I can understand that I must be given a minimum of two sets to find the bit string for the union or intersection.

However, the questions are both worded exactly as on my paper and number 2 doesn't discuss any example sets. It just has that sentence and nothing else.

Thank you very much for help! :)

5. Feb 5, 2012 #4
    b* not be in the 4th word

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook