Find the coordinates of a charged particle given the E field

In summary: Hello, I've now wrote out what I've done so far and hopefully you may see where I've gone wrong, thank you for your helpIn summary, the electric field in an xy plane produced by a positively chatged particle is 7.2(4x+3y)N/C at the point (3, 3)cm and 100x N/C at the poiint (2, 0)cm. Note, x and y used here are unit vectors.
Curtis Cleary

Homework Statement

The electric field in an xy plane produced by a positively chatged particle is 7.2(4x+3y)N/C at the point (3, 3)cm and 100x N/C at the poiint (2, 0)cm. Note, x and y used here are unit vectors.

1. find the x and y co-ordinate of the charged particle
  2. what is the charge of the particle?

Homework Equations

E=Q/4πε0r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the above formula for the two points given to no avail and becomes very messy.
I've tried using the formula for a electric field and equating it at the two points given but it doesn't give me the co-ordinates of the charge. Any help would be most appreciated.

for point 1, i set E=Q/4πε0r2=|28.8x+21.6y|=36, therefore Q=144πε0((x-3)2+(y-3)2)

Then for point 2, Q=400πε0((x-2)2 +y2)

Equating them we have (x-3)2 +(y-3)2=25/9((x-2)2 +y2)

And then expanding we get x2 +y2 -(23/8)x+(27/8)y - 31/8 = 0

This is an equation of a circle so I don't understand how we can find the co-ordinates of the point :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Curtis Cleary said:
I tried using the above formula for the two points given to no avail and becomes very messy
Please type out your work. Not only is this required by the homework guidelines, it is also impossible for us to tell where you go wrong if you do not.

Likes Stavros Kiri
Orodruin said:
Please type out your work. Not only is this required by the homework guidelines, it is also impossible for us to tell where you go wrong if you do not.
Hello, I've now wrote out what I've done so far and hopefully you may see where I've went wrong, thank you for your help

You have only used information about the magnitude of the field, but you also have information about the direction. Can you find a way to use the directional information to deduce where the charge is?

Orodruin said:
You have only used information about the magnitude of the field, but you also have information about the direction. Can you find a way to use the directional information to deduce where the charge is?
Ah, I think I've got it. At point 2 that's given the Electric field only has an x component which means since the electric field produced by the charge is radial, it must have the same y-coordinate as point 2, then i can use the equation i derived to find the x co-ordinate, is my thinking correct?

That is one way of doing it. You could also use a similar argumentation about the direction of the field at point 1 (which will give you another line - you will then have two lines on which the charge has to be, how can you find the position of the charge based on that?). The two methods should give the same answer (or the problem is not well constructed).

1. How do you find the coordinates of a charged particle given the E field?

To find the coordinates of a charged particle in an electric field, you can use the equation F=qE, where F is the force on the particle, q is the charge of the particle, and E is the electric field strength. By setting the force equal to zero and rearranging the equation, you can solve for the coordinates of the charged particle.

2. What information do I need to know in order to find the coordinates of a charged particle in an E field?

In order to find the coordinates of a charged particle in an electric field, you will need to know the magnitude and direction of the electric field, as well as the charge of the particle.

3. Can the coordinates of a charged particle change in an E field?

Yes, the coordinates of a charged particle can change in an electric field. The electric field exerts a force on the particle, causing it to accelerate and change its position.

4. Is there a specific formula or equation for finding the coordinates of a charged particle in an E field?

Yes, the formula for finding the coordinates of a charged particle in an electric field is F=qE. You can rearrange this equation to solve for the coordinates of the particle.

5. Are there any real-world applications for finding the coordinates of a charged particle in an E field?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for finding the coordinates of a charged particle in an electric field. This can be used in fields such as physics, engineering, and even in medical imaging techniques like MRI machines, which use electric fields to manipulate charged particles in the body.