Find the coordinates of a point on a circle without knowing the center point.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
b1gd0g
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Given 2 points on a circle, call them A and B. I know the cartesian coordinates of A. I also know the radius of the circle, the slope of the tangent line at A, and the length and direction of the arc between A and B. I don't know the coordiates of the center of the circle.

How do I find the coordinates of point B?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The radius at A is perpendicular to the tangent line. The center is along the radius at a known distance. There are only two possible points. Use the information about B (direction of arc??) to choose the location of the center.
 
Thanks mathman. I just needed a little insight, and you have provided that quickly and succinctly.