1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the electrostatic interaction energy between the dipole

1. Mar 8, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the following pair of dipoles in one dimension.
    One of the dipoles: -ve dipole positioned at (-D/2, 0) and +ve (+D/2, 0), with the origin between them.
    Other dipole: -ve dipole positioned at (r-d/2, 0) and +ve at (r+d/2, 0), with (r, 0) being the centre.

Show that the total electrostatic interaction energy between the dipoles, when r is much greater than both d and D, is given by,

V = – [1/2(Pi)*(epsilon nought)](QD)(qd)/r^3.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have attempted this question by considering a point x between the dipoles and finding the Electrostatic potential caused by each of the ends of the dipole. This ended up with 4 terms in a summation and I'm struggling to see how the correct answer is a multiplication? I believe some of the terms can be taken as zero when they are squared (in the limit where r>>d and D) but I'm not sure how to get to this step.

I would appreciate a push in the right direction, thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2016 #2
    Hint : You can use the field of one of the dipoles to find the potential developed for each charge on the other dipole ( to get to the appropriate distance from fromer dipole), and then add the two potentials thus obtained.

Hope this helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted