1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the equation of the tangent

1. Apr 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the equation of the tangent of the circular [itex]K:x^2 + y^2 - 2x + 4y=0[/itex], perpendicular to the line x-2y+9=0.

2. Relevant equations

[itex](x_1-p)(x-p)+(y_1-q)(y-q)=r^2[/itex], equation of K.

[itex](kp-q+n)^2=r^2(k^2+1)[/itex], condition for tangent and circular K

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried like this. From the equation [itex]K:x^2 + y^2 - 2x + 4y=0[/itex],
    p=1 and q=-2 ,[itex]r^2=5[/itex]
    also from x-2y+9=0, the coefficient k of the equation of the tangent should be k=-2.
    So I have y=-2x+n, and -2x-y+n=0

[itex](-2*1+2+n)^2=5(4+1)[/itex]
    from here I get [itex]n_1=-5[/itex], and [itex]n_2=5[/itex], so the equation should be:

y=-2x-5

y=-2x+5

But the problem is that it is not same with my text book results. Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2008 #2
    Solve the equation of the tangent in terms of k with the equation of the given line to obtain a third point .

4. Apr 12, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Is [itex]x_1[/itex] different from x?

Wouldn't it be simpler just to use basic concepts rather than such complicated formulas?

The line x- 2y+ 9= 0 can be written 2y= x+ 9 or y= (1/2)x+ 9/2 so its slope is 1/2. Any line perpendicular to that must have slope -2. For the given circle, [itex]x^2 + y^2 - 2x + 4y=0[/itex], implicit differentiation gives 2x+ 2yy'- 2+ 4y'= 0 or (2y+ 4)y'= 2- 2x so y'= (2- 2x)/(2y+ 4)= (1- x)/(y+ 2). For what values of x and y is that equal to 2?

You have two equations: (1-x)/(y+2)= 2 and [itex]x^2 + y^2 - 2x + 4y=0[/itex] to solve. Solve the first for either x or y, put that into the second equation and solve the resulting quadratic.

5. Apr 12, 2008 #4
    x=3
    y=-3

x=1
    y=-1

What to do now? x and y are different from x_1 and y_1

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?