1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Find the extremities of latus rectum of the parabola

1. Sep 2, 2010 #1
    Find the extremities of latus rectum of the parabola y=(x^2)-2x+3.

Please someone post its solution. Ans. is (1/2,9/4) (3/2,9/4).

i just need full solution. I tried a lot but didn't get this correct answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2010 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Re: Parabola

Show us what you've tried in order to find the equation of the latus rectum.

4. Sep 2, 2010 #3

y=x^2-2x+3
    x^2-2x=y-3
    x^2-2x+1=y-3+1
    (x-1)^2=1(y-2)

let X=x-1 and Y=y-2
    then equation becomes X^2=Y

on comparing it with x^2=4ay which is general form of parabolic equations we get
    a=1/4

so according to me extremities of latus rectum should be (0,1/4) (0,-1/4)....

I'm in 11th grade and i just started this topic first time few days back. So i'm very new for it..

5. Sep 2, 2010 #4

y=x^2-2x+3
    x^2-2x=y-3
    x^2-2x+1=y-3+1
    (x-1)^2=1(y-2)

let X=x-1 and Y=y-2
    then equation becomes X^2=Y

on comparing it with x^2=4ay which is general form of parabolic equations we get
    a=1/4

so according to me extremities of latus rectum should be (0,1/4) (0,-1/4)....

I'm in 11th grade and i just started this topic first time few days back. So i'm very new for it..

6. Sep 2, 2010 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

They should be those coordinates for a parabola that is y=x2 but yours isn't that, it is y-2=(x-1)2. for a parabola y=x2 the vertex is at (0,0) and focus is at (0,a) which suggests that for a parabola is the form y-k=(x-h)2 the vertex is at (h,k) and the focus is then at...?

7. Sep 2, 2010 #6

Hmmm. I dont know. Please you tell me

8. Sep 2, 2010 #7

Mentallic

Homework Helper

If the vertex is at (0,0) and the focus is at (0,a) then the focus is always a units above the vertex (actually, inside the parabola would be better since if the parabola is curving downwards then the focus is a units down). Then for a parabola with centre (h,k) the focus will be?

9. Sep 2, 2010 #8

Focus should be (h, k+a). And what about latus rectum

10. Sep 2, 2010 #9

Hey i got the correct ans. Thanks, thanks a lot for helping me

11. Sep 2, 2010 #10

Mentallic

Homework Helper

That's it! :smile: The latus rectum is just y=k+a, so you find where that line intercepts the parabola.

No problem, take care.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook