1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the force of attraction for a particle outside sphere

1. Oct 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A sphere of radius R contains two spherical cavities. Each cavity has a radius of R/2 and touches both the outside surface of the sphere and its center as shown. The mass of a similar sphere without the cavities is M. Find the force of attraction on a small particle of mass m located on the x - axis a distance d > R from the center of the sphere.

2. Relevant equations
    g=GMm/R2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Will upload picture and solution.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2016 #2
  4. Oct 25, 2016 #3
    I am sorry that I don't quite understand your work. You defined g = GMm/R^2, g is a quantity with unit of force, but in your work, g seems to be acceleration.

Here I have an idea:
    $$ \frac{GMm}{d^2} - 2\frac{GMm}{8r^2}cosθ = ma =F $$
    The first term is the force by a fully filled sphere and the second term is the force by two small spheres. As the radius is halved, mass is 1/8. r is the distance between the small sphere and the particle.
    After that, you can write
    $$ r^2 = d^2 + (\frac R 2)^2$$
    $$ cosθ = \frac {d}{\sqrt{(\frac R 2)^2+d^2}} $$

You have enough information for the solution. I hope it helps

5. Oct 25, 2016 #4
    Okay. I see how the mass is 1/8 when the radius becomes 1/2 by writing out the equation for density. But why can you just put an 8 in the denominator? I know it makes sense conceptually, but I mean mathematically (without introducing density into the equation)

6. Oct 25, 2016 #5
    PS. the drawing should have the r vectors pointing towards the center of each small sphere from d

7. Oct 25, 2016 #6
    Um.. I mean
    $$ \frac{Gm\frac M 8 }{r^2}$$
    You can directly know it is 1/8 by the argument learnt in math class. For similar objects ,
    $$ \frac {V_1}{V_2} = (\frac {l_1}{l_2})^3$$

8. Oct 25, 2016 #7
    Okay then. Thank you, that helped

9. Oct 25, 2016 #8
    No problem

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted