Find the force that moves him in this circular motion

In summary: The horizontal force is provided by the centripetal force, which is the force that keeps the man moving in a circle.
rmarkatos
There is a guy a ride. The combined mass of the man and the swing is 200kg and the legnth of the string the pulls him around in a circle is. 12.0m the string makes an angle of 65 degrees. Find the force that moves him in this circular motion and find the speed he is moving at.

I am kind of lost since I do not know how to find the period or anything. This is a A.P. Physics class in high school without the use of calculus.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find the tension in the rope.

The vertical component of th tension balances the weight, so you should be able to calculate it since you know the angle.

The find the horizontal compt of the tension. This provides the centripetal force. Then, use trig to find r, and then the formula for centripetal force should give you the speed.

I really still do not understand the question so your saying the tension is provided by 12msin65? that would the magnitude of the vertical component?

Well, I don't know for sure whether its cos65 or sin 65 since you didn't say whether the angle of 65 is with the vertical or horizontal...

And the 12 has nothing to do with it. 12 is a length, not a force - be careful

i know that but doesn't the tension provide the centripetal force? wouldn't it be T=Fc=mv^2/r? but the problem is we don't know v so i am not sure how to find Fc? how do i find the force that provides it without knowing the period even if we know the components of the string? I don't believe hte components of the string have anything to do with it.

The horizontal component of the tension provides the centripetal force.

Analyze both vertical and horizontal components of the forces on the "man + swing".

Thank you Doc Al when you said the forces on the man and and the swing it hit me :)

Related to Find the force that moves him in this circular motion

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion refers to the movement of an object along a circular path. It is a type of motion that involves a constant change in direction but a constant speed.

2. What is the force that moves an object in circular motion?

The force that moves an object in circular motion is called centripetal force. This force acts towards the center of the circular path and is responsible for keeping the object moving along the circular path.

3. How do you calculate the centripetal force?

The centripetal force can be calculated using the formula Fc = mv²/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. What factors affect the centripetal force?

The centripetal force is affected by the mass of the object, the speed of the object, and the radius of the circular path. The greater the mass and speed of the object, or the smaller the radius of the path, the greater the centripetal force needed to keep the object moving in circular motion.

5. How does the centripetal force relate to Newton's laws of motion?

The centripetal force is related to Newton's first law of motion, which states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion along a straight line unless acted upon by an external force. In circular motion, the centripetal force acts as the external force that keeps the object moving along the circular path.