Find the frequency of the lowest note a piccolo can sound

  • Thread starter Thread starter ~christina~
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Frequency Sound
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
~christina~
Gold Member
Messages
714
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The overall length of a piccolo is 32cm. The resonationg air column vibrates as in a pipe open at both ends.

a) find the frequency of the lowest note a piccolo can sound, assuming the speed of sound in air is 340m/s
b) opening holes in the side effectively shorten the length of the resonant colum. Assume the hightest not a piccolo can sound is 4,000 Hz. Find the distance between adjacent antinodes for this mode of vibration.

Homework Equations


open pipe harmonics
[tex]f_n= n \frac{v} {2L}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


first of all for
a) find the frequency of the lowest note a piccolo can sound, assuming the speed of sound in air is 340m/s

I'm not sure what would be the definition of lowest note. Do they mean sound.
thus the [tex]\lambda[/tex]??

help?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi christina!

The lowest note would be the one with the longest wavelength, which I think is the wave with a node in the middle of the column, and the maximum amplitude at both ends. :smile:
 
tiny-tim said:
Hi christina!

The lowest note would be the one with the longest wavelength, which I think is the wave with a node in the middle of the column, and the maximum amplitude at both ends. :smile:

I figured out part a) but how do I do part b?

Thank you.
 
Hi christina!

I think the fact that it's a 32cm piccolo is irrelevant.

Question (b) just asks you for the antinode distance (which would be the same as the node distance) for any 4000Hz sound wave in air. :smile:
 
tiny-tim said:
Hi christina!

I think the fact that it's a 32cm piccolo is irrelevant.

Question (b) just asks you for the antinode distance (which would be the same as the node distance) for any 4000Hz sound wave in air. :smile:

Hello tiny-tim

Thanks for your help.