1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the instantanous velocity

1. Apr 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the instantaneous velocity at t=1 by computing v(1)= [h(1+LaTeX Code: \\Delta t)-h(1)]/LaTeX Code: \\Delta t

I found that v(1)= -8ft/sec. Also I know h(1)=24 but i dont understand how to manipulate the h(1+LaTeX Code: \\Delta t) to get the solution.

2. Relevant equations

h(t)=16+24t-16t2

3. The attempt at a solution

The solution the teacher gave is v(1)=-8-16tLaTeX Code: \\Delta

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Write out [tex] \frac{h(1+\Delta t)-h(1)}{\Delta t}[/tex]. The part you have a problem with is probably the [itex] h(1+\Delta t)[/itex] term I will give you a hint. [itex] h(1+\Delta t)=16+24(1+\Delta t)+... [/itex] fill in the rest and work out the brackets.

Note that for an instant of time [itex]\Delta t \rightarrow 0[/itex] so your final answer is correct.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  4. Apr 8, 2009 #3
    How did you get that h(1+t)=16+24(1+t)?

and when i fill in the rest i get 16+24(1+t)-24 which when worked out would be 16+24t and is not right

:confused:

5. Apr 8, 2009 #4

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Don't overlook the dots. [itex]h(1+\Delta t)=16+24(1+\Delta t)+... [/itex] my intention was for you to fill in the dots, so basically add the quadratic term to it as well. I hope this is sufficiently clear if not just ask again!

Edit: I just noticed that the same question was asked in the correct introductory physics section. Perhaps a mod could merge this thread with https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=305889.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook