Find the inverse function of ##f(x) =x^4+2x^2##

In summary, the student is trying to find the inverse function of f(x) = x^4+2x^2, x>0 but is stumped. They need to find x in terms of y and then solve the equation for x. After doing this they find x = \sqrt{y+1}-1 which according to their text book is the correct answer.
YoungPhysicist
Insights Author

Homework Statement

Find the inverse function of ##f(x) =x^4+2x^2, x>0##

Homework Equations

##f(f^{-1}(x)) = x##

The Attempt at a Solution

My only progress so far is
##x^4+2x^2 = x^2(x^2+2)##
Then I am stuck.

Since my progress is close to nothing so I don’t expect a complete explanation.:oops: Sorry!

A link to some useful website talking about this will be greatly appreciated since there are actually a dozen of similar problems that I can’t solve. Just kind of want to get this once in for all, and not just this particular one.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: is there a quadratic equation hiding somewhere?

You have to set ##f(x)=y## and then try to solve the equation for ##x=f^{-1}(y)##, consider y as known. In this case you have to solve the equation

##x^4+2x^2-y=0## which is a bi-quadratic equation

Delta2 said:
##x^4+x^2-y=0## which is a bi-quadratic equation

There it is!

Likes Delta2
Delta2 said:
You have to set ##f(x)=y## and then try to solve the equation for ##x=f^{-1}(y)##, consider y as known. In this case you have to solve the equation

##x^4+2x^2-y=0## which is a bi-quadratic equation
Sorry, do you mean getting all the terms to the other side leaving only x=?

And by the way, the problem did mention ##x>0##.

YoungPhysicist said:
Sorry, do you mean getting all the terms to the other side leaving only x=?
Yes. Just find ##x## in terms of ##y##.

Likes Delta2
You might find useful to set ##z=x^2## firstly and solve the equation ##z^2+2z-y=0## first, then take ##x=\sqrt{z}>0##

Likes YoungPhysicist, Wrichik Basu and PeroK
At heart, you're solving for x in the equation ##y = x^4 + 2x^2##. Notice that if you add 1 to ##x^4 + 2x^2## it's a perfect square.

Likes YoungPhysicist and Wrichik Basu
Because haven't said it explicitly yet, for similar problems where you are given ##f(x)## and need to find the inverse of ##f##, all you need to do is solve the equation ##f(x)=y##. By solving it you ll have found x in terms of y, or in other words your ll find ##x## as a function ##g(y)## . The function ##g## is the inverse of ##f## because we know for the inverse of ##f## it is
$$f(x)=y\iff x=f^{-1}(y)$$. (1)

But because ##x=g(y)## is the solution of the equation ##f(x)=y## we also have

$$f(x)=y\iff x=g(y)$$ (2)

From (1) and (2) we can conclude that ##g=f^{-1}##

Last edited:
Likes YoungPhysicist and Wrichik Basu
In addition to what @Delta2 has said in post #10, keep in mind that not all functions have an inverse. Although books almost always give functions that have an inverse, when you apply this concept to other subjects, be sure to check whether the function is bijective. I believe this has already been written in your book.

Likes YoungPhysicist and Delta2
Mark44 said:
At heart, you're solving for x in the equation ##y = x^4 + 2x^2##. Notice that if you add 1 to ##x^4 + 2x^2## it's a perfect square.
Wrichik Basu said:
Yes. Just find ##x## in terms of ##y##.
Ok. According to those facts, here is what I came up with:
$$
y = x^4+2x^2\\
\Rightarrow y+1 = x^4+2x+1 = (x^2+1)^2\\
\Rightarrow x^2+1 = \sqrt{y+1}\\
\Rightarrow x = \sqrt{\sqrt{y+1}-1}$$
Which according to my books answer(no process at all) is correct. Thanks everyone!

Likes chwala and Wrichik Basu

1. What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a function that undoes the action of another function. In other words, if you apply the original function and then apply the inverse function, you will get back to the original input.

2. How do you find the inverse function of a given function?

To find the inverse function of a given function, you need to follow these steps:

• Replace f(x) with y.
  • Swap the x and y variables.
  • Solve for y in terms of x.
  • Replace y with f^-1(x) to get the inverse function.

3. Can every function have an inverse function?

No, not every function has an inverse function. A function must be one-to-one (each input has a unique output) in order to have an inverse function. If a function is not one-to-one, then there will be multiple inputs with the same output, making it impossible to find an inverse function.

4. What is the inverse function of ##f(x) =x^4+2x^2##?

The inverse function of ##f(x) =x^4+2x^2## is ##f^-1(x) = \sqrt[4]{x-2}##.

5. How do you verify that a function and its inverse are indeed inverse functions of each other?

To verify that a function and its inverse are indeed inverse functions of each other, you can use the composition of functions method. This means plugging in the original function as the input for the inverse function and vice versa. If the result is the input, then the functions are inverse functions of each other.