Find the limit cycle for this dynamical system

In summary, for the dynamical system with the given equations, there will be a fixed point at the origin for all values and ranges considered. For a) when a=2, there is an unstable limit cycle at r=1. For b), there is no change in behavior, but paths will be repelled from the limit cycle faster. For c), there is a second limit cycle at r=1 whose radius increases as a increases. The value of 2√2 was chosen because it is the value at which this second limit cycle begins. The conclusion is based on using Mathematica to plot paths for different initial conditions and values of a.
pondzo

Homework Statement

Consider the dynamical system:

$$\dot{r}=-ar^4+ar^3+r^6-r^5+r^2-r~;~~\dot{\theta}=1$$

Find all fixed points and limit cycles for:

a) ##~~a=2##

b)##~~a<2##

c)##~~2<a<2\sqrt{2}##

Homework Equations

Not applicable.

The Attempt at a Solution

For all three values/ranges that we are considering there will be a fixed point at the origin. To make the behavior clearer, I can rewrite the first equation as follows:

##\dot{r}=(ar^3-r^5-r)(1-r)##

a) ##~~a=2 \implies \dot{r}=(2r^3-r^5-r)(1-r)##

The radius will either grow, shrink or stay constant depending on the value of r:

If##~~r=1\implies \dot{r}=0##
If##~~r<1\implies \dot{r}<0##
If##~~r>1\implies \dot{r}>0##

So there is an unstable limit cycle at ##r=1##.

b) It appears that there is no change for this case, only that paths will be repelled from the limit cycle faster (what is a better way to word this?). Is this correct?

c) There seems to be a second limit cycle spawning from r=1 who's radius increases as a increases. Although I'm not sure why my lecturer has picked the value ##2\sqrt{2}##, since it occurs beyond this value. I was only able to find this by using mathematica and plotting the paths for different initial conditions and different values of a. How would one go about showing this? And why do you think the value##2\sqrt{2}## was chosen?

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I have figured it out I think.

P.S. In situations like these should I post the result I concluded?

1. What is a limit cycle in a dynamical system?

A limit cycle in a dynamical system is a closed trajectory in phase space that the system tends towards as time goes to infinity. It represents a stable, repeating behavior of the system.

2. How do you find the limit cycle for a dynamical system?

There are several methods for finding the limit cycle of a dynamical system, including numerical simulation, analytical techniques such as the Poincaré-Bendixson theorem, and phase plane analysis. The most appropriate method depends on the specific system and its equations.

3. What information can be gained from finding the limit cycle of a dynamical system?

Finding the limit cycle can provide insight into the long-term behavior of the system, including the stability of the system and any periodic or oscillatory behavior. It can also help in predicting and understanding the system's response to different inputs or initial conditions.

4. Are there any limitations to finding the limit cycle of a dynamical system?

Limit cycles may not exist for all dynamical systems, and even if they do, they may be difficult to find or analyze. Additionally, the accuracy of the limit cycle may be affected by factors such as numerical errors in simulation or simplifications made in analytical techniques.

5. How is the concept of a limit cycle used in real-world applications?

Limit cycles are commonly used in the analysis and design of control systems, as they represent stable and predictable behavior. They can also be seen in various natural phenomena, such as the motion of planets in the solar system or the cycles of predator-prey populations.