Find the limit of x^2(√(x^4+5)-x^2) as x->∞

  • Thread starter Thread starter NWeid1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
NWeid1
Messages
81
Reaction score
0
Find the limit of x^2(√(x^4+5)-x^2) as x->∞. I think it might be a L'Hospitals rule, but I'm not sure. We haven't done many problems like this yet, thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
L'Hospital's Rule is valid only for certain indeterminate forms, like infinity/infinity or 0/0.
You should be able to determine this limit by inspection.
 
NWeid1 said:
Find the limit of x^2(√(x^4+5)-x^2) as x->∞. I think it might be a L'Hospitals rule, but I'm not sure. We haven't done many problems like this yet, thanks!

SteamKing said:
L'Hospital's Rule is valid only for certain indeterminate forms, like infinity/infinity or 0/0.
Right. L'Hopital's Rule is not applicable here.
SteamKing said:
You should be able to determine this limit by inspection.
I don't know about that. This limit is another of the indeterminate forms - [∞ * 0].

I would multiply the expression in the limit by 1, in the form of [itex]\sqrt{x^4 + 5} + x^2[/itex] over itself.