1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the magnitude of the electric field at regions 2 and 3.

1. Feb 16, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The three parallel planes of charge shown in the figure have surface charge densities (-1/2)η, η, and (-1/2)η.

24.45.JPG

2. Relevant equations
    I think that the electric field is equal to eta divided by epsilon naught.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I know that the electric field at regions 1 and 4 are zero.
    E1 = E4 = (-1/2)η + η + (-1/2)η = 0.
    I know that the electric field in region 2 points upward and that the electric field at region 3 points downward. However, I am not sure how to calculate the electric field in these regions. How do I go about calculating the electric field in these regions?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check your notes. The field due to a single infinite plane of charge density ##\eta## is not ##\frac{\eta}{\epsilon_0}##.

How do you know that? The reason I ask this question is that the logic for deducing that the field is zero in regions 1 and 4 is similar to the logic for finding the fields in regions 2 and 3.

4. Feb 16, 2017 #3
    Oh, yes. I confused the electric field for an infinite plane of charge with the electric field of a conductor in electrostatic equilibrium.
    Well, when I worked the problem by saying that E4 = E1, I got an answer of zero. I put that answer into MasteringPhysics. The answer was correct. Using that same reasoning with the electric field in regions 2 and 3 proved wrong.

5. Feb 16, 2017 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How did you get the answer of zero? What steps of reasoning did you use?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted