1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the magnitude of the magnetic field 10 cm from the wire

1. Nov 14, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A) Find the magnitude of the magnetic field 10 cm away from the wire at point P as shown in the picture. The current is directed along the x-axis.

B) Find its direction

Info: I = 5 amps. Point P lies on the Y-axis. Current on the X-axis.

Picture (I have drawn): http://twitpic.com/7e0l7e [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

I THINK: B=u*I/2*pi*r

3. The attempt at a solution

B = (4pi * 10^(-7)) * 5/2 *pi * .1m = 7.85 * 10^(-8) N

***I am not sure if this is correct. I have no means to check my work, so I am hoping someone can simply tell me whether or not I am correct, and if not, perhaps enlightening me as to which direction I should head to find the right answer. Much thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Better to write it like this:
    [tex]B = \frac{\mu_0 I}{2 \pi r}[/tex]

Redo your calculation.

4. Nov 14, 2011 #3

Thank you, Doc Al. I redid my calculation in that format and got 7.96E-7. Does that seem correct?

Again, thank you.

5. Nov 14, 2011 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Not exactly. When you plug in the value of μ0 = 4*pi*10^(-7), that pi will cancel with the pi in the denominator. So you should be able to do the entire calculation without touching a calculator.

Try it one more time. :smile:

6. Nov 14, 2011 #5

Aaah, got it. That should've been evident from the beginning. :redface: Thank you, Doc Al. You have alleviated me some frustration. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook