Find the magniture of the vector using the figure below

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mdhiggenz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Figure Vector
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Mdhiggenz
Messages
324
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



Find the magnitude of the vector that is the sum of the three vectors , , and in the figure : figure is the link
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14/yf0134.jpg/




Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



What I did was obtain Ax=0 Bx=7.5

Ay=-8.00 and B13

My problem came when trying to get Cx and Cy.

The way the vector is placed in the figure confuses me but I got Cy= 12sin(25)= -10.87 since it is on the negative side, and Cx= 12Cos25=-5.07.

I then got the squareroot of Ax+Bx+Cx^2+Ay+By+Cy^2
Did I create the triangle wrong? If so how can I make sure to not make this same mistake
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That looks OK to me...
Haven't you got Cx and Cy the wrong way around though?
After all C is longer in x than it is in y and you have Cy as the bigger.

just a niggle, Cx is not 12Cos25
... you should have written Cx = -12Cos25 because that is what it is.
(you can lose marks that way)

You are used to the angle measured wrt the x-axis ... in which case Cx=12Cos(205), which is the same.
 
No worries - you see all the other angles were wrt the y axis? so that angle in C was 115 degrees anticlockwise from the y axis. Then you can use the same formula you used for the others.

You can always construct the kinds of angles that make the math easier for you.