Trouble with basic Vector Addition Problem

In summary, the instructions for the treasure hunt involve 5 paces North, 3 paces East, and 4 paces Southeast, with each pace being 0.750 m in length. To find the total displacement, you need to find the components of each vector, with vector [A] being 0 for Ax and 3.75 m for Ay, and vector [B] being 2.25 m for Bx and 0 for By. The book's answer for vector [C] is Cx=2.12 and Cy=-2.12, which can be understood by looking at the positive and negative positions. In order to find the length of vector [C] if Cx and Cy were
ERoday
This a book example that I have the answer to but do not understand.
What are the magnitude and direction of the total displacement for the treasure hunt? The instructions to find the treasure are 5 paces North, 3 paces East, then 4 paces Southeast. Each pace is 0.750 m in length.

So I understand that to find the total displacement you need to find the components of each vector. So 5 pace North = vector [A] which would be Ax= 0 and Ay= 3.75m, and 3 paces east =vector which would be Bx= 2.25m and By= 0 but for 4 paces southeast the book gives the answer to be Cx=2.12 and Cy =-2.12 and I understand why those components are positive and negative but not why the distance is 2.12. Why isn't it Cx=3.00m and Cy= -3.00m?

Physics news on Phys.org
What would the length of the vector C be if Cx and Cy were both 3.00 m?

[4.24m] so bad logic on my part but I still don't understand how to find vector [C]

I hope you understand the problem easier from a drawing. All length are in paces. Find the x, y components of the red vector (in paces) first.

ehild.

Attachments

• hunt.JPG
    hunt.JPG
    6.8 KB · Views: 427
You want the length of C to be 3.00 m. Since you're going southeast, you know that Cy = -Cx. Put those two statements together to solve for Cx and Cy.

I understand it better now. Thanks. I see that vector [C] is a hypotenuse type angle (forgive my serious lack of physics jargon) so I can look at the intersection and see that the angle is 45 degrees and use sine and cosine to find Cx and Cy. I just thought there was a simpler way to do it. Like for vectors [A] and I just looked at the positive and negative positions to find the components.

1. What is a vector addition problem?

A vector addition problem involves adding two or more vectors together to determine the resulting vector. Vectors are quantities that have both magnitude and direction.

2. Why do people have trouble with basic vector addition problems?

People may have trouble with basic vector addition problems because they are unfamiliar with the concept of vectors or do not have a strong foundation in vector mathematics.

3. How can I improve my understanding of vector addition problems?

One way to improve understanding is to practice solving various types of vector addition problems and to seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed. Understanding the properties and rules of vectors can also aid in solving these problems.

4. Can vector addition problems be solved using graphical methods?

Yes, vector addition problems can be solved using graphical methods such as the head-to-tail method or the parallelogram method. These methods involve drawing vectors to scale and using geometric principles to determine the resulting vector.

5. Are there any real-world applications of vector addition problems?

Yes, vector addition problems have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. For example, vector addition is used to calculate the resulting velocity of an object when multiple forces are acting upon it.