1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble with basic Vector Addition Problem

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1
    This a book example that I have the answer to but do not understand.
    What are the magnitude and direction of the total displacement for the treasure hunt? The instructions to find the treasure are 5 paces North, 3 paces East, then 4 paces Southeast. Each pace is 0.750 m in length.

So I understand that to find the total displacement you need to find the components of each vector. So 5 pace North = vector [A] which would be Ax= 0 and Ay= 3.75m, and 3 paces east =vector which would be Bx= 2.25m and By= 0 but for 4 paces southeast the book gives the answer to be Cx=2.12 and Cy =-2.12 and I understand why those components are positive and negative but not why the distance is 2.12. Why isn't it Cx=3.00m and Cy= -3.00m?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What would the length of the vector C be if Cx and Cy were both 3.00 m?

4. Feb 9, 2012 #3
    [4.24m] so bad logic on my part but I still don't understand how to find vector [C]

5. Feb 9, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I hope you understand the problem easier from a drawing. All length are in paces. Find the x, y components of the red vector (in paces) first.

ehild.

Attached Files:

6. Feb 9, 2012 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You want the length of C to be 3.00 m. Since you're going southeast, you know that Cy = -Cx. Put those two statements together to solve for Cx and Cy.

7. Feb 9, 2012 #6
    I understand it better now. Thanks. I see that vector [C] is a hypotenuse type angle (forgive my serious lack of physics jargon) so I can look at the intersection and see that the angle is 45 degrees and use sine and cosine to find Cx and Cy. I just thought there was a simpler way to do it. Like for vectors [A] and I just looked at the positive and negative positions to find the components.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook