Find the mass of a cat as it walks across a plank

  • Thread starter Thread starter agentlee
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 4K views
agentlee
Messages
18
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A cat walks along a uniform plank that is 4.00m long and has a mass of 7.00kg. The plank is supported buy two sawhorses, one .440m from the left end of the board and the other 1.50m from its right end. When the cat reaches the right ened, the plank just begins to tip. What is the mass of the cat?


Homework Equations


ƩFx = 0
ƩFy = 0
Ʃτ = 0

τ=I∂=Fr


The Attempt at a Solution


This is a solved example from my book, but I don't understand how they do it.
They're saying to calculate the torque about the right sawhorse, so they do
Mg(.500m) - mg(1.50)m = 0

This is probably an obvious one but, I have no idea where the .500m came from. Can someone explain this to me?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What point do you think they're choosing for the axis of rotation?
 
I forgot to mention they labeled F1=0, so that's the axis of rotation right?
 
No. The reason F1 = 0 is because the plank is about to tip and is therefore losing contact with the sawhorse on the left. But they are not choosing the sawhorse on the left as the axis of rotation.

As the plank begins to tip, about what point does it rotate?
 
agentlee said:
Where the cat is positioned?

No, that's not it either.
 
I see what you mean now, okay. So through a valiant use of process of elimination, the second sawhorse
 
agentlee said:
I see what you mean now, okay. So through a valiant use of process of elimination, the second sawhorse
:smile:

So, when you want to find the torque due to the weight of the board, at what point of the plank do you put the weight of the board?
 
Oh wow...The weight's at halfway and the plank is at 1.5m so 2-1.5...wow lol
Thanks for your help :D