Find the mass of object knowing the applied force and coefficient of friction

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 41K views
liz777
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



If a force of 45 Newtons is needed to overcome friction and the coefficient of friction=0.26, what is the mass of the object?

The Attempt at a Solution



So would I need to find the frictional force first? But then I can't use the equation: (frictional force=coefficient of friction x weight) since I don't have the mass. I also thought about using the equation F=MA but then I don't have the acceleration, the friction, or the net force! Any help, I'm really stuck?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
liz777 said:
So would I need to find the frictional force first?
They give you the friction force. The way to interpret the given information is that the 45 N force is just enough to overcome friction, thus that force equals the friction.
But then I can't use the equation: (frictional force=coefficient of friction x weight) since I don't have the mass.
Sure you can use that equation. Remember that you're asked to find the mass.
 
Ok, so what you're saying is that the applied force equals the friction, in this case. I thought it wouldn't move though if that was true? I'm just confused on this concept.

But anyway, using that information, frictional force=coefficient of friction x weight
45=0.26m(9.8)
45=2.55m
m=17.65kg
Is that right?
 
Yes.
You are given two values, and you need to solve for one of them using an equation with four variables, three of which are known (the other being g).