• Tags
    Friction
laser
Homework Statement
See description
Relevant Equations
F=ma
1702045598887.png

So in (a) the answer is just mgsintheta.

When doing (b), I got 8.44x10^3N to be the NET force the tractor must exert. Does the tractor not need to overcome its own friction as well? If so, shouldn't the equation be F_tractor = F_exerted - F_friction, and the question is asking for F_exerted?

How I got 8.44x10^3: a = 0, therefore mgcostheta*Uk +mgsintheta = F_tractor. So the tractor is applying a net force of 8.44x10^3. But why are we not considering its friction? Consider my previous point.

Given that the coefficient of friction between the tractor's tyres and the ground is not given, can I assume it is frictionless? But then, how are the wheels meant to rotate? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
laser said:
Which, of course, you checked agains ##\mu N## ?

laser said:
Does the tractor not need to overcome its own friction as well?
Yes

laser said:
If so, shouldn't the equation be F_tractor = F_exerted - F_friction, and the question is asking for F_exerted?
Apparently the exercise composer considers Ftractor to be the net available traction force you call Fexerted
##\ ##

Likes MatinSAR
laser said:
Does the tractor not need to overcome its own friction as well?
What does that mean? As you say, the tractor would be unable to pull on the rope if it were on frictionless ice. It's the external force of static friction between the tyres and the ground that propels the (tractor + rope + logs) system forward.

Think of it this way. There is no friction to "overcome" before engaging the gears that transmit the engine power to the wheels ." This situation is unlike a fish swimming upstream that has to overcome a current. The only static friction that must be overcome is between the box of logs and the ground not between the tractor's tyres and the ground. Static friction adjusts itself to provide the observed acceleration but only up to a point that cannot be exceeded.

Here, as the tension in the rope increases while nothing moves the force of static friction at the box and the tyres match the tension. In order for the tractor to pull the box up the slope, the upper limit of static friction at the box must be less than the upper limit of static friction at the tyres. If it isn't, the tyres will start spinning before the box is pulled uphill. See how it works?
laser said:
How I got 8.44x10^3: a = 0, therefore mgcostheta*Uk +mgsintheta = F_tractor. So the tractor is applying a net force of 8.44x10^3. But why are we not considering its friction? Consider my previous point.
Your cavalier use of "net force" might lead you into trouble. According to Newton's second law ##F_{\text{net}}=ma.## You cannot have a non-zero force when the acceleration is zero. What you have computed is the force exerted by the tractor on the rope a.k.a. the tension in the rope.

Likes MatinSAR, scottdave and laser
laser said:
Homework Statement: See description
Relevant Equations: F=ma

View attachment 336895

When doing (b), I got 8.44x10^3N to be the NET force the tractor must exert. Does the tractor not need to overcome its own friction as well? If so, shouldn't the equation be F_tractor = F_exerted - F_friction, and the question is asking for F_exerted?

Given that the coefficient of friction between the tractor's tyres and the ground is not given, can I assume it is frictionless? But then, how are the wheels meant to rotate? :)
The static friction between the tractor's tyres and the ground are what allows it to move. It's an accelerating force, not a force of resistance. That's how wheels work. And, that's how walking works as well.

There may be some rolling resistance that is being neglected. But definitely not the friction that applies to a sliding object.

Likes MatinSAR, Lnewqban and laser
laser said:
Following the same logic that led you to calculate a), the net force is exactly the force of static friction exerted on the tires by the ground after the tractor starts to pull: 8451 Newtons.

Likes MatinSAR

1. How does the friction between tractor tyres and the ground affect traction?

Friction between tractor tyres and the ground is essential for providing traction. The more friction there is, the better the tyres can grip the ground and propel the tractor forward. Without sufficient friction, the tractor may struggle to move, especially on uneven or slippery surfaces.

2. What factors can affect the friction between tractor tyres and the ground?

Several factors can influence the friction between tractor tyres and the ground, including the type of tyre tread pattern, the composition of the tyre rubber, the weight of the tractor, and the condition of the ground surface. Tire pressure and the presence of any debris or moisture on the ground can also impact friction.

3. How can farmers improve the friction between tractor tyres and the ground?

Farmers can enhance the friction between tractor tyres and the ground by ensuring that the tyres are properly inflated to the recommended pressure, selecting tyres with an appropriate tread pattern for the terrain, and maintaining the tyres in good condition. Avoiding excessive speed and adjusting the tractor's weight distribution can also help improve traction.

4. What are the consequences of inadequate friction between tractor tyres and the ground?

If there is insufficient friction between tractor tyres and the ground, the tractor may struggle to maintain traction, leading to slippage, reduced efficiency, and potential safety hazards. In extreme cases, inadequate friction can result in the tractor getting stuck or losing control on steep slopes or slippery surfaces.

5. How does the coefficient of friction impact the interaction between tractor tyres and the ground?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of how effectively two surfaces can grip each other. A higher coefficient of friction indicates better traction between tractor tyres and the ground, while a lower coefficient of friction means reduced grip. Farmers can use this concept to select tyres with optimal friction characteristics for their specific farming needs and conditions.