1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the maximum distance the spring is compressed.

1. Mar 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block of mass 2.0kg is dropped from height h=70cm onto a spring of spring constant k=1960 N/m. Find the maximum distance the spring is compressed.

2. Relevant equations
    KE initial + PE initial = KE final + PE final
    KE = 1/2(mass)(velocity)^2
    PE = mgh or, when dealing with a spring, PE = 1/2 (k)(compression distance)^2

3. The attempt at a solution

The initial velocity is zero, so the initial KE is zero
    The final height is zero so the final PE is zero

2kg(9.8)(.7m) = (1/2)(1960)x^2

where x is the distance the spring is compressed
    solve for x.... x = .118m
    but it is not the right answer....

Any help is appreciated,
    Thanks,
    A

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2008 #2
    Hint: before the block falls on the spring, the gravitational potential energy is not mgh since the spring compresses a bit.

4. Mar 17, 2008 #3
    but I thought if I wanted to calculate the total amount the spring compressed, the amount of energy at the very end of the fall (the instant before hits the spring-before it compresses) should equal the amount of energy the block has when it stops on the spring.... I am very confused!
    Should KE at the end of the fall = (1/2)(1960)x^2 ?

5. Mar 17, 2008 #4
    That would be true if the spring somehow compressed without the top end of the spring actually being compressed downward, which is impossible.

6. Mar 17, 2008 #5
    I'm sorry~ I'm still not quite sure I understand:
    so as the block hits the spring:
    1/2m(vinitial)^2 + 1/2k(xinital)^2 + mgh = 1/2k(xfinal)^2
    ??
    if x final = 0, then the whole thing = 0... which doesn't work out very well (square root of a negative number...)

7. Mar 17, 2008 #6
    Set your 0 point so that at the point where the spring is compressed at its lowest point, that is your h = 0. So then how far above the lowest point is the block before you let it go?

8. Mar 17, 2008 #7
    x + .7 meters?

9. Mar 17, 2008 #8
    Now you can move on.

10. Mar 17, 2008 #9
    Thank you!!
    (they should make a monument to super physics people like you)
    :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?