Conservation: Mass Dropped onto a Spring, Find the Compression

In summary: But if you are saying that the height is to the top of the spring, then the compression would just be added on to it (3.6+x)?
JoeyBob
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
Ep=mgh, Ep=1/2k(x)^2
First I wanted to find the kinetic energy the mass had when it hit the spring (converted from the potential Energy it had) thus

Ek=mgh=9.8*2.6*3.5=89.18

Now I know as this Ek changes to 0 the potential energy of the spring as its being compressed will be at its maximum so,

Ek=Ep spring=0.5k(x)^2

Finding the amount its compressed (x), x=sqrt(2*Ek/k)=sqrt(2*89.18/512)=0.590

But the answer is suppose to be 0.452.

Attachments

• Question.PNG
    Question.PNG
    14.4 KB · Views: 113
Physics news on Phys.org
JoeyBob said:
Ek=mgh=9.8*2.6*3.5=89.18
This does not give you the kinetic energy of the block at the instant it begins to compress the spring because the block doesn't fall a height h in getting to the spring.

Now I know as this Ek changes to 0 the potential energy of the spring as its being compressed will be at its maximum so,

Ek=Ep spring=0.5k(x)^2
As the block compresses the spring, there is a change in gravitational potential energy as well as spring potential energy. Also, note that the final potential energy of the spring is not .5kx2. The problem statement says that x is the final length of the spring. But the potential energy of the spring depends on the amount of compression of the spring; that is, on the change in length of the spring.

You do not need to worry about the kinetic energy of the block at the instant the block starts to compress the spring. You just need to compare the initial total energy of the system (at the instant the block is dropped) with the final total energy of the system (at the instant the spring is maximally compressed).

TSny said:
You do not need to worry about the kinetic energy of the block at the instant the block starts to compress the spring. You just need to compare the initial total energy of the system (at the instant the block is dropped) with the final total energy of the system (at the instant the spring is maximally compressed).

Wouldn't this be the same though? Total energy of the system at the start is mgh. Total Energy at end would be 1/2kx^2, So mgh=0.5kx^2

JoeyBob said:
Wouldn't this be the same though? Total energy of the system at the start is mgh. Total Energy at end would be 1/2kx^2, So mgh=0.5kx^2
Yes, if you define h suitably. Consider the changes in GPE and EPE between initial and final states.

haruspex said:
Yes, if you define h suitably. Consider the changes in GPE and EPE between initial and final states.

I've also tried adding the compression to h, using mg(h+x)=0.5kx^2, but this also gives me the wrong answer.

JoeyBob said:
I've also tried adding the compression to h, using mg(h+x)=0.5kx^2, but this also gives me the wrong answer.
I assume your x is the same as the x0-x in the question.
What do you get numerically?

Likes JoeyBob
TSny said:
In your link you have the equation

View attachment 274369

If ##x## is the amount that the spring is compressed, then the total distance the mass falls is not ##3.5 + x##. The distance will involve ##x_0##. A sketch will help.
Wait I am confused here. Are you saying the height is to the bottom of the spring? So (3.6-1.9+x)?

But I thought the height was to the top of the spring, so the compression would just be added on to it (3.6+x)?

JoeyBob said:
Wait I am confused here. Are you saying the height is to the bottom of the spring? So (3.6-1.9+x)?
Note that the problem states that ##h## is the height of the block above the Earth's surface.
If you are saying that (3.6-1.9+x) is the total distance that the block falls, then I agree.

1. How does conservation of mass apply to a mass dropped onto a spring?

Conservation of mass states that matter cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. In the case of a mass dropped onto a spring, the initial mass of the object is conserved as it is converted into potential energy stored in the spring.

2. What is the equation for finding the compression of a spring?

The equation for finding the compression of a spring is F = kx, where F is the force applied to the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

3. How does the mass of the object affect the compression of the spring?

The mass of the object affects the compression of the spring because a heavier object will apply more force to the spring, resulting in a greater compression. This is due to the relationship between force and displacement in the spring equation, F = kx.

4. Is the compression of the spring affected by the height from which the object is dropped?

No, the compression of the spring is not affected by the height from which the object is dropped. This is because the potential energy of the object is dependent on its mass and the force applied by gravity, not its initial height.

5. What other factors can affect the compression of the spring?

The compression of the spring can also be affected by the spring constant (k), the material and shape of the spring, and any external forces acting on the system, such as friction or air resistance.