Find the pmf of Y, given the pmf of X and Corr(X,Y).

• Thread starter jimholt
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding the probability mass function for Y given the probability mass function for X and the correlation between the two variables. The attempt at a solution shows that there may not be a unique solution for q, as there is one equation with two unknowns. Another example is given for when X and Y are independent, which further supports the idea that q can be any value from 0 to 1.
jimholt
Not really a homework question, but here goes...

Homework Statement

If we have two (binary) random variables X and Y, and we know the probability mass function for X, as well as the correlation between X and Y, can we find the probability mass function for Y?

Homework Equations

Let f(x) be the mass function for X and g(y) be the mass function for Y. Let g(1) = q and g(0) = 1-q. Given f(1) = p and f(0) = 1-p, and that the correlation between X and Y is c, can we find q as a function of p and c (only)?

The Attempt at a Solution

Let h(x,y) be the joint distribution of X and Y. We can show that that Cov(X,Y) = h(1,1)-pq, and so Corr(X,Y) = [h(1,1)-pq]/sqrt[pq(1-p)(1-q)] = c.

Where to go from there? Seems as if we have one equation with two unknowns. (Is there another equation lurking somewhere?)

Thanks for any help folks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think what you've shown is that there is not necessarily a unique solution.

To confirm this, i would pick some random values and see if you can find multiple solutions

Last edited:
As another example consider when X & Y are independent then h(x,y) = p(x)p(y).

The co-variance is Cov(X,Y) = h(1,1)-pq = pq-pq = 0, as expected.

Then q can be any value from 0 to 1.

Yup, quite right. This brings up another confusing point for me, but let me chew on it a bit before starting a new thread. Thanks for lending me your eyes.

now worries, let me know if you want me to have a look at it

What is a pmf?

A pmf (probability mass function) is a function that describes the probability of a discrete random variable taking on a specific value.

What is X and Y in this context?

X and Y are two discrete random variables that are being studied. X has a known pmf, while Y's pmf needs to be determined.

How is the pmf of Y related to the pmf of X?

The pmf of Y is related to the pmf of X through the Correlation Coefficient (Corr(X,Y)). This value measures the strength and direction of the linear relationship between X and Y.

How do I find the pmf of Y given the pmf of X and Corr(X,Y)?

To find the pmf of Y, you can use the formula: pmf of Y = pmf of X * Corr(X,Y). This assumes that X and Y are normally distributed and have a linear relationship.

What other factors should I consider when finding the pmf of Y?

Aside from the pmf of X and Corr(X,Y), you should also consider the range and distribution of X and the possible values that Y can take on. Additionally, the sample size and accuracy of the data can affect the accuracy of the pmf of Y.