My attempt:
$$\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}=-\sin y + \frac{1}{1-xy}$$
$$\int \partial f=\int (-\sin y+\frac{1}{1-xy})\partial x$$
$$f=-x~\sin y-\frac{1}{y} \ln |1-xy|+c$$

Using ##f(0, y)=2 \sin y + y^3##:
$$c=2 \sin y + y^3$$

So:
$$f(x,y)=-x~\sin y-\frac{1}{y} \ln |1-xy|+2 \sin y + y^3$$

Is my answer correct? In the lesson itself, there is no integration when learning partial derivative but I can't think of any other way to solve the question without integration.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you very much Demystifier

Likes Demystifier
songoku said:
My attempt:
##\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}=-\sin y + \frac{1}{1-xy}##
##\int \partial f=\int (-\sin y+\frac{1}{1-xy})\partial x##
The second line should be written like this:
##\int \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dx = \int (-\sin y+\frac{1}{1-xy})dx##

Likes songoku
Mark44 said:
The second line should be written like this:
##\int \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dx = \int (-\sin y+\frac{1}{1-xy})dx##
Oh ok. Thank you very much Mark44

I know it’s obvious and shouldn’t need saying, but just in case...

The final answer is ##f(x,y)=-x~\sin y-\frac{1}{y} \ln |1-xy|+2 \sin y + y^3##.

To check, simply evaluate ##f(0,y)## and ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}## to confirm that they match the given expressions.

(I’d guess - not being a mathematician - that there is some theorem which guarantees that the answer for ##f(x,y)## must be unique.)

Likes songoku
Steve4Physics said:
To check, simply evaluate ##f(0,y)## and ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}## to confirm that they match the given expressions.
Good point. This is something that should always be done when solving differential equations.

Steve4Physics said:
(I’d guess - not being a mathematician - that there is some theorem which guarantees that the answer for f(x,y) must be unique.)
If there's a theorem about this, it escapes me at the moment. Without the initial condition, you get a whole family of solutions. The initial condition for f(0, y) nails the family down to a single function.

Likes songoku and Steve4Physics

1. How do I find the function f(x,y) given its partial derivatives?

To find the function f(x,y) given its partial derivatives, you can integrate the partial derivatives with respect to their respective variables. This will help you recover the original function f(x,y).

2. What is the importance of providing an initial condition when finding f(x,y) from partial derivatives?

Providing an initial condition is crucial because it helps narrow down the possible solutions for the function f(x,y) from its partial derivatives. The initial condition acts as a starting point that the function must satisfy.

3. Can I find f(x,y) uniquely from its partial derivatives and initial condition?

Not always. Sometimes, multiple functions can satisfy the given partial derivatives and initial condition. In such cases, additional constraints or information may be needed to uniquely determine the function f(x,y).

4. What are some common methods used to find f(x,y) from partial derivatives?

Common methods used to find f(x,y) from partial derivatives include integrating the partial derivatives, using the initial condition to determine integration constants, and solving any resulting differential equations that arise.

5. How can I verify if the function f(x,y) found from partial derivatives and initial condition is correct?

You can verify the function f(x,y) by checking if it satisfies the given partial derivatives and initial condition. Substitute the function into the partial derivatives and initial condition equations to see if they hold true. Additionally, you can compare the function's values with known data points or perform numerical simulations to validate its accuracy.