Find the potential of a fluid with varying density

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
-sandro-
Messages
24
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the potential of a fluid whose density varies with height according to this relation: ρ = a (H-z2) + 1.5 kg/m3 being H=20m, 15m <= z <= 20m, Mtotal= 200kg. The fluid is inside a cylinder of radius = 2m and height = 5m.


Homework Equations


Bernoulli equation?

The Attempt at a Solution


I seriously have no idea how to solve it since the density varies, I'm not good with fluids problems :D

I've attached the image of the problem.
 

Attachments

  • problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 478
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, I might not be able to help, but I'm just curious... What do you mean by "Find the potential"? Are you talking about Gravitational Potential Energy? Or some other potential energy? Or something else?
 
The Bernoulli equation will apply only to fluids which are flowing.