Pump used to halve the time taken by fluid to flow out

Homework Statement

The tank in picture has section ##S_1## and it's linked with a tube of section ##S_2=\frac{1}{\sqrt{17}} S_1##. The tank is filled at an height ##h## and this level is kept constant by a sink ##R##, in such way that the exiting volumetric flow rate is ##Q=0.3 m^3/s## and constant. Determine the power ##P## of a pump located in the tube that can halve the time taken by the fluid to come out of the tank if the density of the fluid is ##\rho =1000kg/m^3##.
2345678909876543212345678.png

Homework Equations

Bernoulli equation

The Attempt at a Solution

What is unclear to me is how to interpret the condition of halving the time taken by the fluid to come out. I interpeted it as equivalent to double the coming out speed of the fluid, that is to have a volumetric flow rate of ##2Q## instead of ##Q##. Is that possibly correct?

In that case I can write $$\rho g h (2Q) +P= \frac{1}{2} \rho (\frac{2Q}{S_2})^2 (2Q)$$ And find ##P## from here. Is the reasoning correct for this problem?

Answers and Replies

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award

Homework Statement

The tank in picture has section ##S_1## and it's linked with a tube of section ##S_2=\frac{1}{\sqrt{17}} S_1##. The tank is filled at an height ##h## and this level is kept constant by a sink ##R##, in such way that the exiting volumetric flow rate is ##Q=0.3 m^3/s## and constant. Determine the power ##P## of a pump located in the tube that can halve the time taken by the fluid to come out of the tank if the density of the fluid is ##\rho =1000kg/m^3##.
View attachment 102598

Homework Equations

Bernoulli equation

The Attempt at a Solution

What is unclear to me is how to interpret the condition of halving the time taken by the fluid to come out. I interpeted it as equivalent to double the coming out speed of the fluid, that is to have a volumetric flow rate of ##2Q## instead of ##Q##. Is that possibly correct?

In that case I can write $$\rho g h (2Q) +P= \frac{1}{2} \rho (\frac{2Q}{S_2})^2 (2Q)$$ And find ##P## from here. Is the reasoning correct for this problem?
I agree with your interpretation (of a poorly worded question). But note the information you have regarding S1. Think about how that might be relevant.

Last edited:
rude man
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I can think of no reasonable alternative interpretation. Sure!
You can write a second equation with P = 0 and eliminate h so that P = P(Q only).