Find the real zeros of a complex equation

In summary, the conversation discussed an equation and the difficulty in finding the first zero of its real component. The equation was simplified to a quadratic form and a plot was provided. The use of NSolve and Reduce were unsuccessful in finding the zero, but suggestions were made to use the quadratic formula or FindRoot function. The issue was resolved by finding the zeros of the determinant, which is equivalent to finding the zeros of the real component of the equation.
member 428835
Hi PF!

Here's my equation
Code:
0.5 Sech[0.997091 Sqrt[
   2.4674 + \[Xi]\[Xi]^2]] (-1. ((0. +
        3.7011 I) + (0. + 1.5 I) \[Xi]\[Xi]^2) Cosh[
     0.997091 Sqrt[2.4674 + \[Xi]\[Xi]^2]] -
   1. \[Sqrt](((0. + 3.7011 I) + (0. + 1.5 I) \[Xi]\[Xi]^2)^2 Cosh[
         0.997091 Sqrt[2.4674 + \[Xi]\[Xi]^2]]^2 +
       4. (2.4674 + \[Xi]\[Xi]^2)^(3/2)
         Cosh[0.997091 Sqrt[2.4674 + \[Xi]\[Xi]^2]] Sinh[
         0.997091 Sqrt[2.4674 + \[Xi]\[Xi]^2]]))
Making it real, it plots well, but I cannot identify the first zero of the real component of the equation. NSolve and Reduce fail, though it plots so clearly.

Thanks for your time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:
Hi PF!

Here's my equation
Code:
0.5 Sech[0.997091 Sqrt[
   2.4674 + \[Xi]\[Xi]^2]] (-1. ((0. +
        3.7011 I) + (0. + 1.5 I) \[Xi]\[Xi]^2) Cosh[
     0.997091 Sqrt[2.4674 + \[Xi]\[Xi]^2]] -
   1. \[Sqrt](((0. + 3.7011 I) + (0. + 1.5 I) \[Xi]\[Xi]^2)^2 Cosh[
         0.997091 Sqrt[2.4674 + \[Xi]\[Xi]^2]]^2 +
       4. (2.4674 + \[Xi]\[Xi]^2)^(3/2)
         Cosh[0.997091 Sqrt[2.4674 + \[Xi]\[Xi]^2]] Sinh[
         0.997091 Sqrt[2.4674 + \[Xi]\[Xi]^2]]))
Making it real, it plots well, but I cannot identify the first zero of the real component of the equation. NSolve and Reduce fail, though it plots so clearly.

Thanks for your time![/CODE]
Can you please write this out using LaTex, and also provide the plot you obtained?

Chestermiller said:
Can you please write this out using LaTex, and also provide the plot you obtained?
Yea, I left it like this because it should be easy to plot in Mathematica via copy-paste. However, here's a much simpler version:

Code:
a = -5;
c = 1;
sol[bb_] := x /. NSolve[a x^2 + b I x + c == 0, x]
Plot[{Re[sol[bb]], Im[sol[b]]}, {b, -10, 10}, PlotRange -> All]

The equation is ##ax^2+b i x + c##. The plot attached (yellow is imaginary and blue is real solution).

I don't know how to locate the zeros numerically in Mathematica. Any idea?

Attachments

• quadI.pdf
    14.9 KB · Views: 327
This is probably a stupid question, but why can't you just use the quadratic formula?

Chestermiller said:
This is probably a stupid question, but why can't you just use the quadratic formula?
It's not stupid, but Mathematica does not give me an output when I ask for the real part of the solution. Example:

Code:
sol[b_] := (-b I \[PlusMinus] Sqrt[-b^2 - 4 a c])/(2 a)
Re[sol[1]]

it outputs ##-Re[-i \pm \sqrt{19}]/10## (using values listed above).

Calling f[x] the function you defined in the OP, try
Code:
FindRoot[Re[f[x]], {x, 0.4}]

Likes member 428835
Solving it using the quadratic formula, I get $$x=\frac{bi\pm \sqrt{20-b^2}}{10}$$
What's wrong with that?

The FindRoot did not work for me, but I appreciate your help Dr Claude. Chet, The issue is having Mathematica grab the real and imaginary component of the quadratic solution. What I ended up doing is taking the determinant and finding the zeros of this. Turns out this is equivalent to what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the help everyone!

joshmccraney said:
The FindRoot did not work for me
I'm confused. I copied and pasted your equation in #1 and it worked fine.

Likes member 428835
DrClaude said:
I'm confused. I copied and pasted your equation in #1 and it worked fine.
Oops, I must have copied something wrong, because now it does in fact work. Thanks!

Likes DrClaude

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that can be expressed in the form of a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (defined as the square root of -1).

2. How do I find the real zeros of a complex equation?

To find the real zeros of a complex equation, you can use the quadratic formula or factor the equation to find the roots. You can also use the rational root theorem to help identify potential rational roots.

3. Can a complex equation have more than one real zero?

Yes, a complex equation can have multiple real zeros. These are the values of the variable that make the equation equal to 0.

4. What is the difference between a real zero and a complex zero?

A real zero is a value of the variable that makes the equation equal to 0, while a complex zero is a pair of values (a + bi and a - bi) that make the equation equal to 0. Real zeros lie on the real number line, while complex zeros lie on the complex plane.

5. How can finding real zeros of a complex equation be useful?

Finding the real zeros of a complex equation can be useful in solving problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can also help in understanding the behavior of polynomial functions and in graphing them.