Find the remainder of a polynomial

In summary, Nate TG messed up when he wrote "2x3+32-6x+1". He meant to write "2x3+ 3x2- 6x+ 1". The coefficients in the original equation are 2, 3, -6, 1 and they add up to 0. That tells you that x= 1 is a solution. Of course, you could factor out x-1 to reduce to a quadratic and solve that, either by completing the square or using the quadratic formula.
discombobulated
7a) f(x0 = 2x3+32-6x+1
Find the remainder when F(x) is divided by (2x-1)
b) (i) Find the remainder when f(x) is divided by (x+2)
(ii) Hence, or otherwise solve the equation: 2x3+32-6x-8=0
giving your answer to two decimal places.

This is what I've done:
a) r= -1 (i did f(1/2) to get that)
b) (1) r = 9 ( i did f(-2) for that)
could someone please help me with part (ii)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you understand what the problem is asking for.

For example
[tex]x^2-4[/tex]
divided by
[tex]x+2[/tex]
is
[tex]x-2[/tex]
because
[tex](x-2)(x+2)=x^2-4[/itex]

You should be doing the division with x's.

No, NateTG, what he did was perfectly feasible. To find the remainder, r, when polynomial P(x) is divided by (x-a) you CAN do the division, but it is simpler to use the fact that P(x)= (x-a)Q(x)+ r so that P(a)= r. Of course, dividing by x-1/2 will give the same remainder as dividing by 2x-1.

discombobulated, you twice wrote "2x3+32-6x+1".
Didn't you really mean "2x3+ 3x2- 6x+ 1"?

For the third part, I'm not sure about the "Hence" but look at the coefficients. Those tell you that there is one very simple answer!

HallsofIvy said:
No, NateTG, what he did was perfectly feasible. To find the remainder, r, when polynomial P(x) is divided by (x-a) you CAN do the division, but it is simpler to use the fact that P(x)= (x-a)Q(x)+ r so that P(a)= r. Of course, dividing by x-1/2 will give the same remainder as dividing by 2x-1.
discombobulated, you twice wrote "2x3+32-6x+1".
Didn't you really mean "2x3+ 3x2- 6x+ 1"?
For the third part, I'm not sure about the "Hence" but look at the coefficients. Those tell you that there is one very simple answer!
yes i know part a) and bi) are correct because i checked it by dividing too, but i find the other way easier. HallsofIvy, yes i did mean 2x3+ 3x2- 6x+ 1. (i should also point out that I'm not a, 'he'!) I don't understand what you're trying to say about the coefficients sorry.
I noticed that the remainder (9) has been taken away so the factors of 2x3+ 3x2- 6x-8 are (x+2) and (2x2 - x-4)
so i tried this:
(x+2)((2x2 - x-4)=0
(=-2
(2x2 - x-4=0
then by completing the square i got:
x= 1.69 or x= -1.19
does this make sense?

Boy, did I mess up! I didn't notice that the equation you wanted to solve in (ii) was not the orginal equation! You are completely correct. Because you already new that 9 was the remainder when
2x3+ 3x2- 6x+1 was divided by (x+ 2), you knew that 2x3+ 3x2- 6x+1= (x+2)(something)+ 9.
Subtracting 9 from both sides tells you that
2x3+ 3x2- 6x- 8= (x+2)(something).
And that means that x= -2 is solution. Yes, that "something" is 2x2 - x+ 4. Solving that by completing the square tells you that
x= 1.69 and x= -1.19.

My "hint" was for solving the wrong equation! Notice that the coefficients in the original equation are 2, 3, -6, 1 and they add up to 0. That tells you that x= 1 is a solution. Of course, you could factor out x-1 to reduce to a quadratic and solve that, either by completing the square or using the quadratic formula.

thanks for your help anyway!

1. What is the definition of finding the remainder of a polynomial?

The remainder of a polynomial is the value left over after dividing the polynomial by a given divisor. It is the part of the polynomial that cannot be divided evenly by the divisor.

2. How do you find the remainder of a polynomial using long division?

To find the remainder of a polynomial using long division, first arrange the polynomial in descending order of exponents. Then, divide the first term of the polynomial by the first term of the divisor and write the quotient above the polynomial. Multiply the quotient by the divisor and subtract from the polynomial. Repeat this process until the degree of the remainder is less than the degree of the divisor. The resulting value is the remainder.

3. Can the remainder of a polynomial be negative?

Yes, the remainder of a polynomial can be negative. This usually occurs when the degree of the remainder is less than the degree of the divisor and the resulting value is a negative number.

4. What is the significance of finding the remainder of a polynomial?

Finding the remainder of a polynomial can help in determining if a polynomial is a factor of another polynomial. If the remainder is zero, then the polynomial is a factor. Additionally, the remainder can also be used in solving various mathematical problems involving polynomials.

5. Can the remainder of a polynomial be greater than the divisor?

No, the remainder of a polynomial cannot be greater than the divisor. This is because the remainder is the value left over after dividing the polynomial by the divisor, so it must be smaller than the divisor.