1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the remainder of a polynomial

1. Jan 19, 2006 #1
    7a) f(x0 = 2x3+32-6x+1
    Find the remainder when F(x) is divided by (2x-1)
    b) (i) Find the remainder when f(x) is divided by (x+2)
    (ii) Hence, or otherwise solve the equation: 2x3+32-6x-8=0
    giving your answer to two decimal places.

This is what i've done:
    a) r= -1 (i did f(1/2) to get that)
    b) (1) r = 9 ( i did f(-2) for that)
    could someone please help me with part (ii)?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2006 #2

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think you understand what the problem is asking for.

For example
    [tex]x^2-4[/tex]
    divided by
    [tex]x+2[/tex]
    is
    [tex]x-2[/tex]
    because
    [tex](x-2)(x+2)=x^2-4[/itex]

You should be doing the division with x's.

4. Jan 20, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, NateTG, what he did was perfectly feasible. To find the remainder, r, when polynomial P(x) is divided by (x-a) you CAN do the division, but it is simpler to use the fact that P(x)= (x-a)Q(x)+ r so that P(a)= r. Of course, dividing by x-1/2 will give the same remainder as dividing by 2x-1.

discombobulated, you twice wrote "2x3+32-6x+1".
    Didn't you really mean "2x3+ 3x2- 6x+ 1"?

For the third part, I'm not sure about the "Hence" but look at the coefficients. Those tell you that there is one very simple answer!

5. Jan 21, 2006 #4
    yes i know part a) and bi) are correct because i checked it by dividing too, but i find the other way easier. HallsofIvy, yes i did mean 2x3+ 3x2- 6x+ 1. (i should also point out that i'm not a, 'he'!) I don't understand what you're trying to say about the coefficients sorry.
    I noticed that the remainder (9) has been taken away so the factors of 2x3+ 3x2- 6x-8 are (x+2) and (2x2 - x-4)
    so i tried this:
    (x+2)((2x2 - x-4)=0
    (=-2
    (2x2 - x-4=0
    then by completing the square i got:
    x= 1.69 or x= -1.19
    does this make sense?

6. Jan 21, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Boy, did I mess up! I didn't notice that the equation you wanted to solve in (ii) was not the orginal equation! You are completly correct. Because you already new that 9 was the remainder when
    2x3+ 3x2- 6x+1 was divided by (x+ 2), you knew that 2x3+ 3x2- 6x+1= (x+2)(something)+ 9.
    Subtracting 9 from both sides tells you that
    2x3+ 3x2- 6x- 8= (x+2)(something).
    And that means that x= -2 is solution. Yes, that "something" is 2x2 - x+ 4. Solving that by completing the square tells you that
    x= 1.69 and x= -1.19.

My "hint" was for solving the wrong equation! Notice that the coefficients in the original equation are 2, 3, -6, 1 and they add up to 0. That tells you that x= 1 is a solution. Of course, you could factor out x-1 to reduce to a quadratic and solve that, either by completing the square or using the quadratic formula.

7. Jan 23, 2006 #6
    thanks for your help anyway!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?