Find the speed of the alpha particle after the reaction

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
student34
Messages
639
Reaction score
21

Homework Statement



For the nuclear reaction, 1 neutron (1/0n) + 10/5B → 7/3L + 4/2He (alpha particle) assume that the initial kinetic energy and momentum of the reacting particles are negligible. Calculate the speed of the alpha particle immediately after it leaves the reaction.

Homework Equations



E = mrestc^2

Ek = (mtotal (before) - mtotal (after))c^2

The Attempt at a Solution



I really have no idea because there is no change in mass that I can see, and that is all I had to look for with questions similar to these in this chapter.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
##\renewcommand{\e}[1]{\text{#1}} \e n_0^1 + \e B_5^{10} \to \e{Li}_3^7 + \e{He}_2^4##
I really have no idea because there is no change in mass that I can see, and that is all I had to look for with questions similar to these in this chapter.

Did you look up the masses or just go by the number of nucleons?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Simon Bridge said:
##\renewcommand{\e}[1]{\text{#1}} \e n_0^1 + \e B_5^{10} \to \e{Li}_3^7 + \e{He}_2^4##


Did you look up the masses or just go by the number of nucleons?

I only used the number of protons and neutrons. I can't think of any other reason why they would have a different mass.
 
student34 said:
I only used the number of protons and neutrons. I can't think of any other reason why they would have a different mass.

I'd check the masses out then :)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Yep - go look up the masses :)
Write back with a list.

Consider: where does the "binding energy" of a nucleus come from?