Kinetic energy of an alpha particle

In summary, the question asks for the estimation of the kinetic energy of an alpha particle formed during the alpha decay of ^238_92U, given that the last 4 nucleons in ^238_92U have an average binding energy per nucleon of 6.1 MeV. By breaking down the equation and using the standard alpha decay equation, the Q value can be calculated as 3.7 MeV.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

During the ##\alpha## decay of ##^{238}_{92}U## an ##\alpha## particle is fromed inside the nucleus. Given that the last 4 nucleons in ##^{238}_{92}U## have an average binding energy per nucleon of ##6.1MeV##, estimate the kinetic energy of the ##\alpha## particle when it is formed.

Addtional information
Mass of ##\alpha=4.00260amu##
Mass of neutron =##1.00866amu##
Mass of Proton = ##1.00783amu##
amu = ##1.66054\cdot10^{-27}##

Homework Equations

##Q=B.E_f-B.E_i##

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I am been trying visulise this question and the best way I have come with is as follow:

Using the standard alpha decay equation

$$^{232}_92U\rightarrow^{230}_{90}X+\alpha$$

Now if I thing of separating the LHS of the equation I would gee the following

$$B.E_x+mc^2_x +B.E_{\alpha 1}+mc^2_{\alpha 1}=B.E_x+mc^2_x+B.E_{\alpha 2}+mc^2_{\alpha 2}$$

Where ##B.E_{\alpha 1}## is the energy of the last four nucleons.

So from this the LHS ##B.E_x+mc^2_x## will cancel with the ##B.E_x+mc^2_x## on RHS and I will be left with:$$B.E_{\alpha 1}+mc^2_{\alpha 1}=B.E_{\alpha 2}+mc^2_{\alpha 2}$$

So as the total number of protons and neutrons are equal on both sides the the following equation can be formed:

$$mc^2_{\alpha 1}-mc^2_{\alpha 2}=B.E_{\alpha 2}-B.E_{\alpha 1}$$

Where the LHS of the equation is the Q value hence

$$Q=B.E_{\alpha 2}-B.E_{\alpha 1}$$

Calculating the B.E for ##B.E_{\alpha 2}## give the following

$$B.E_{\alpha 2}=2n+2p=28.29MeV$$

pluggin into my Q value equation

$$Q=29.29MeV-4*6.1MeV=3.89MeV$$

Is this the correct method, and through process in solving this equation, or have I viewed it in the wrong way?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The "standard" alpha decay equation ##^{232}_{92}U \rightarrow^{230}_{90}X+\alpha## does not make sense. The number of nucleons on the right side is 230 in ##X## and 4 in the alpha particle for a total of 234. However, you start with 232 on the left side. Furthermore, the question says that you have ##^{238}_{92}U##.

You are correct in saying that the ##mc^2## terms will cancel. If I were you, I would calculate the total binding energy on each side and get ##Q## that way. You are given 6.1 MeV/nucleon that you can use for ##^{238}_{92}U## and ##^{234}_{90}X## and you can look up the binding energy of ##^{4}_{2}He##. I think you will get the same answer because the daughter nuclide has the same binding energy as the parent.

Ok so I have made some typos in my workings, which I will correct, sorry for that. I will also redo more working in a more clearer manner.

Question:

During the ##\alpha## decay of ##^{238}_{92}U## an ##\alpha## particle is fromed inside the nucleus. Given that the last 4 nucleons in ##^{238}_{92}U## have an average binding energy per nucleon of ##6.1MeV##, estimate the kinetic energy of the ##\alpha## particle when it is formed.

My new working are as follows:
$$^{238}_{92}U\rightarrow^{234}_{90}X+\alpha_2$$

My view is that the LHS can be broken down like so:

$$^{234}_{90}X+\alpha_1\rightarrow^{234}_{90}X+\alpha_2 + Q$$

Because I have the binding energy of the last 4 nucleons, which I have designated ##alpha_1##, so that leaves the binding energy of the remaining 234 nucleons within that nucleus.

As I am looking for the Q value of the alpha particle I will start with the summation equation for Q

$$Q=\sum _{intial}mc^2-\sum _{final}mc^2$$

I then calculated the mass energy for each individual part for LHS and RHS

$$m(^{234}_{90}X)c^2=90m_p+144m_n)c^2-B.E_x$$
This would be for RHS also

$$m(^4_2\alpha)c^2=2n+2p-(4*6.1MeV)$$

RHS
$$m(^4_2\alpha)c^2=2n+2p-B.E_{\alpha}$$

So subbing into the Q equation that I have given I will have the follwoing

$$Q=B.E_{\alpha}-(4*6.1Mev)$$

Using the calculated value of ##B.E_{alpha}=28.1MeV##

I make the Q value ##Q=3.7MeV##

I have edited the original question also.

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion.

2. What is an alpha particle?

An alpha particle is a type of ionizing radiation consisting of two protons and two neutrons, which is emitted from the nucleus of an atom during radioactive decay.

3. How is the kinetic energy of an alpha particle calculated?

The kinetic energy of an alpha particle can be calculated using the equation KE = (1/2)mv^2, where m is the mass of the alpha particle and v is its velocity.

4. What factors affect the kinetic energy of an alpha particle?

The kinetic energy of an alpha particle is affected by its mass and velocity. Higher mass or velocity will result in a higher kinetic energy.

5. Why is the kinetic energy of an alpha particle important in nuclear reactions?

The kinetic energy of an alpha particle is important in nuclear reactions because it determines the amount of damage the particle can cause when it collides with other particles or atoms. This collision can lead to changes in the nucleus of an atom, resulting in nuclear reactions.