Find the speed of the block at this point

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 2.00 kg block on a frictionless incline connected to a spring with a spring constant of 100 N/m. The block is released from rest and moves 23.0 cm down the incline of 37 degrees. The problem is solved using the equations of kinetic energy, energy of the spring, and gravitational potential energy. The final solution is found and the thread is marked as solved.
fizwiz

Homework Statement

A 2.00 kg block situated on a frictionless incline is connected to a spring of negligible mass having a spring constant of 100 N/m. The block is released from rest when the spring is unstretched, and the pulley is frictionless. The block moves 23.0 cm down the incline of 37 degrees. Find the speed of the block at this point. I've included a picture at the bottom.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• p5_76.gif
    p5_76.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 736
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i can't seem to edit my thread
2. Homework Equations

ive tried using the equation of KE=1/2mv^2 and also W=1/2x^2
i've basically done everything i can without any progress.
are there any other equations or ways of doing this type of question?
thank you

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Welcome to PF!

Hi fizwiz! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I don't understand why conservation of energy isn't doing it …

KE + energy of spring + gravitational PE = constant.

What numbers are you getting? :smile:

hi tiny-tim
i haven't actaully tried it using your way..
which equations would you use?

Hi fizwiz! :smile:

I would use: KE + energy of spring + gravitational PE = constant.

KE, as you say, is 1/2mv².

(btw, what was your W?)

So … what is the formula for the gravitational PE for a drop of h?

And what is the formula for the energy of the spring when its length is x? :smile:

thanks for your help! :)
i think I've worked out the answer using those equations

:biggrin: Woohoo! :biggrin:

( :smile: … don't forget to click on "Thread Tools" to mark the thread [SOLVED] … )

1. What is the definition of speed?

Speed is the rate at which an object moves. It is a measure of how fast an object is traveling and is typically calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to cover that distance.

2. How do you find the speed of a moving object?

To find the speed of a moving object, you need to measure the distance the object has traveled and the time it took to cover that distance. Then, divide the distance by the time to get the speed.

3. Why is it important to know the speed of a block at a specific point?

Knowing the speed of a block at a specific point is important in understanding the motion of the block and predicting its future motion. It can also help in determining the forces acting on the block and the energy involved in its movement.

4. What factors can affect the speed of a block?

The speed of a block can be affected by factors such as the force applied to it, the surface it is moving on, and the presence of air resistance. Other factors like the mass and shape of the block can also play a role in determining its speed.

5. How does the speed of a block change over time?

The speed of a block can change over time depending on the forces acting on it. If there is a constant force applied, the speed of the block will increase or decrease at a constant rate. However, if there are changing forces or no force at all, the speed of the block may remain constant or change erratically.