1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two blocks connected with spring and pulley

1. Jun 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block of mass m1= 20.0kg connected to a block of mass m2 =30.0 kg by a massless string that passes over a light, frictionless pulley. The 30.0-kg block is connected to a spring that has negligible mass and a force constant of k =250 N/m as shown in Figure P8.64. The spring is unstretched when the system is as shown and the incline is frictionless. The 20kg block is pulled a distance 20cm down the incline of angle theta = 40 degrees and released from rest find the speed of each block when the spring is again unstreched

2. Relevant equations
    Ei =Ef

3. The attempt at a solution
    Iam confused if we should have 0.5Kx2 as the energy in the system finally. This how I think the equation should be set up but Im not sure if my reasoning is right for the 1/2kx2 being there (the mass of the block will compress the string isnt.
    Taking the intial point from when m2 is 20cm down and m1 is 20cm up :

M2gh + 1/2kx2 = 1/2(M1 + M2)vf2 + M1gh + 1/2kx2

Would this be correct. At the final position the spring will compress 0.784 since:
    M2g = kx
    X = (20)(9.8)/250
    X = 0.784

So is my reasoning correct or am I having misconceptions

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2016 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Two problems I see:
    - The final position is with the spring unstretched. So what does that tell you about the spring PE at that point?
    - Realize that the masses do not have the same change in vertical position, since one is on an incline.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted