Find the square roots of 4*sqrt(3)+4(i)

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter Elissa89
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Roots Square
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Elissa89
Messages
52
Reaction score
0
So I have a study guide for my final which was written by a different professor from my actual professor. So I don't understand the question, I don't know if it's because my professor did not teach this or if the wording is different from what I'm used to:

Find the square roots of 4*sqrt(3)+4(i)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Elissa89 said:
So I have a study guide for my final which was written by a different professor from my actual professor. So I don't understand the question, I don't know if it's because my professor did not teach this or if the wording is different from what I'm used to:

Find the square roots of 4*sqrt(3)+4(i)

I would let:

$$y=8\left(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}+\frac{1}{2}i\right)=8e^{\Large\frac{\pi}{6}i}$$

Can you proceed?
 
MarkFL said:
I would let:

$$y=8\left(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}+\frac{1}{2}i\right)=8e^{\Large\frac{\pi}{6}i}$$

Can you proceed?

No, i don't know what the right side means.

- - - Updated - - -

Elissa89 said:
No, i don't know what the right side means.
Actually I don' know what any of that means. Where did the 8 come from?
 
Elissa89 said:
No, i don't know what the right side means.

- - - Updated - - -Actually I don' know what any of that means. Where did the 8 come from?

You haven't studied Euler's formula? How about de Moivre's theorem?