Find the sum of the first n terms

  • Thread starter Thread starter lionely
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sum Terms
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
lionely
Messages
574
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



Find the sum of the first n terms of the sequence U1, U2, U3... Ur

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



$$ \sum_{r = 1}^n (1 + (-1)^r) = n + (-1)^n $$

But I don't this is right... any help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
lionely said:

Homework Statement



Find the sum of the first n terms of the sequence U1, U2, U3... Ur
What are U1, U2, etc.?
lionely said:

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



$$ \sum_{r = 1}^n (1 + (-1)^r) = n + (-1)^n $$

But I don't this is right... any help?
 
It doesn't say this is the exact question, it just wants me to find the Sum of the first n terms of this case
 
lionely said:
It doesn't say this is the exact question, it just wants me to find the Sum of the first n terms of this case
Like before, write out the first few terms of the series.
 
It alternates between 1 and -1 so would the sum would alternate between -1 and 0... so... 1/2( (-1)^n -1) ?
 
lionely said:
It alternates between 1 and -1 so would the sum would alternate between -1 and 0... so... 1/2( (-1)^n -1) ?
You said, "It" alternates ...

What is the "It" you refer to?

The series never decreases.


Write out the first several terms of the sequence, then the first several terms of the series.
 
when I mean "it" I meant the sequence. I'm sorry and what I typed above was in reference to the part I did not understand, the sum of (-1)^n. I understand the sum of 1 to n terms = n.

so my final answer is $$ n + 1/2((-1)^n -1)$$
 
lionely said:
when I mean "it" I meant the sequence. I'm sorry and what I typed above was in reference to the part I did not understand, the sum of (-1)^n. I understand the sum of 1 to n terms = n.

so my final answer is $$ n + 1/2((-1)^n -1)$$

That looks pretty good.

S1 = 0

S2 = 2

S3 = 2

S4 = 4

S5 = 4

...