Geometric Sequence and the Limiting Value

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the terms in a sequence and the concept of convergence to a limit. The sequence is not geometric and the limiting value is found to be 9/4. The use of subscripts and symbols in the toolbar is suggested for better readability.
AN630078
Homework Statement
Hello, I have been practising arithmetic and geometric sequences when I came across the problem below but I am not sure whether I have arrived at the correct conclusion, since the values I have determined for the first few terms in the sequence do not have a constant common ratio as defined by un+1/un=r. Have I made a mistake in my calculations?

1. Find the values of u2,u3 and u4 given tht un+1=3-1/3(un) and u1=3
2. Find the limiting value of un as n tends to infinity
Relevant Equations
un+1=3-1/3(un)
1. When n=1,
u1+1=3-1/3(u1)
u2=3-1/3(3)
u2=2

When n=2
u2+1=3-1/3(u2)
u3=3-1/3(2)
u3=7/3

When n=3
u3+1=3-1/3(u3)
u4=3-1/3(7/3)
u4=20/9

The common ratio is defiend by r=un+1/un, but this is different between the terms, i.e. u2/u1=2/3 whereas u3/u2=(7/3)/2=7/6
Have I made a mistake?

2. A sequence u1, u2, u3... converges to a limit L as the terms get ever closer to L. If the limit of un as n → ∞ is L, the terms un and un+1 are approximately equal to L.
un+1=3-1/3(un)
Replace un+1 and un with L in the equation.
L=3-1/3L
4/3L=3
4L=9
L=9/4

Thus, the limiting value of the sequence is 9/4. Would this be correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculations are correct.

The sequence is not geometric; if it were it would satisfy [tex]u_{n+1} = \lambda u_n[/tex] rather than [tex]u_{n+1} = \lambda u_n + c.[/tex]

Likes AN630078
In the top toolbar there should be a ...∨ sign which allows you to write subscipts.

Likes AN630078
pasmith said:
Your calculations are correct.

The sequence is not geometric; if it were it would satisfy [tex]u_{n+1} = \lambda u_n[/tex] rather than [tex]u_{n+1} = \lambda u_n + c.[/tex]
Thank you for your reply. Oh ok thank you for the clarification, would my solution for the limiting value also be correct? 😊

epenguin said:
In the top toolbar there should be a ...∨ sign which allows you to write subscipts.
I have just looked in the toolbar and have seen what you mean, in addition to the option to insert symbols. Thank you for the suggestion, that is so useful and will definitely allow me to type in a more readable format 👍

1. What is a geometric sequence?

A geometric sequence is a sequence of numbers where each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a constant number, called the common ratio.

2. How do you find the common ratio of a geometric sequence?

The common ratio of a geometric sequence can be found by dividing any term in the sequence by the previous term.

3. What is the formula for finding the nth term of a geometric sequence?

The formula for finding the nth term of a geometric sequence is an = a1 * rn-1, where an is the nth term, a1 is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

4. What is the limiting value of a geometric sequence?

The limiting value of a geometric sequence is the value that the terms of the sequence approach as the number of terms increases. It is also known as the limit of the sequence.

5. How do you find the limiting value of a geometric sequence?

The limiting value of a geometric sequence can be found by taking the limit of the sequence as n approaches infinity. This can be done by evaluating the formula for the nth term with increasingly larger values of n or by using the formula L = a1 / (1 - r), where L is the limiting value, a1 is the first term, and r is the common ratio.